South Korean Internet users expressed mixed feelings Wednesday after badminton's governing body charged eight women players with throwing matches to secure an easier draw in the next Olympic round.
Four pairs in the women's doubles -- one from China, one from Indonesia and two from South Korea -- could be disciplined after the Badminton World Federation took action.
They were allegedly trying to manipulate the final standings in the first-round group stage, with two pairs who had already qualified apparently trying to lose to secure a favourable draw in the next round.
South Korean media remained silent pending a disciplinary hearing while Internet users were divided.
"It was Chinese players who threw the competition. Korean coaches complained to the umpire on them throwing the games," said one named Dank on Korean portal Daum.net.
The Group A match between a powerful Chinese pairing and an unseeded South Korean pair came under scrutiny after the Chinese lost heavily.
After the match, South Korean head coach Sung Han-Kook reportedly said: "It's not the Olympic spirit to play like this. How could the number one pair in the world play like this?"
One person urged fellow Internet users to "Look at the score, Korean players couldn't have thrown the game".
Others insisted both the Koreans and Chinese should be disqualified for violating the Olympic spirit if charges are proved.
"Shame on all of them. If they are Olympics athletes, they should do their best, not think about their next games," said Waegyeinchingudeul.