Dear Mr Narendra Modi,
Here are 10 questions the nation would like you to answer in India’s 72nd year of independence:
1. Is Aadhaar safe even after data of 13.5 crore Indians was breached?
The Unique Identification Authority of India says that Aadhaar data is ‘fully safe and secure’. In May 2017, Aadhaar numbers of millions were publicly available on four government websites due to poor security. Is our data still safe?
2. Will the likes of Nirav Modi, Mehul Choksi and Vijay Mallya be brought back to India and punished?
There is no doubt that the Nirav Modi scam went unnoticed for a long time due to systemic failure. But neither you nor the Finance Ministry can be cleared of responsibility for this. How to do you plan to get them back?
3. Why not install garbage bins in every city and town uniformly instead of spending crores on ‘Swachh Bharat’ publicity?
Almost Rs 530 crore was spent on promoting the Clean India Mission from 2014 to 2017 across several media platforms. Four years after Swachh Bharat, many cities in India are still the same: heaps of garbage can be observed everywhere, not to mention the stench.
4. Should you not pay more attention to the safety of women in our country?
In your first Parliament address as prime minister, you had pledged to make this nation a safer place for women by making them self-reliant and independent. According to a recent survey done by Thomson Reuters Foundation, India happens to be the most dangerous country for women in the world.
5. Why are fuel prices soaring when global crude oil prices are lower than they were in the UPA’s regime?
At Rs 84 per litre in Mumbai, petrol prices reached an all-time high on May 20 in the country. The international crude prices were at $80 per barrel.
Petrol prices had last reached the Rs 76 per litre mark on September 14, 2013 under UPA-II regime when crude oil prices were hovering around $108-$115 per barrel.
6. What purpose did demonetisation actually serve?
Standing in long queues for our own money became the order of the day for several months. What we are still not able to understand is what was the whole point of all this? Was this exercise enough to curb terrorism or eradicate black money as promised?
7. How do you plan on curbing rising anti-India sentiment among Kashmiris?
After four years of uneasy alliance between the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Mehbooba Mufti-led Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the coalition finally broke. With terrorism and anti-India sentiment on rise, how do you propose to bring back stability in the Valley?
8. You had promised 2 crore jobs if BJP comes to power. Where are they?
9. Why is there so much foodgrain wastage even as millions go hungry every day?
India is ranked 100 among 119 countries in the 2017 Global Hunger Index, with 14.5 percent of the population undernourished. It’s a paradox as India is a food-surplus nation.
According to a government survey, nearly Rs 97,000 crore worth food is wasted due to logistical problems.
10. What have you done to curb mob-lynching?
Your government has received considerable flak for failing to check violence in the name of cow vigilantism in many BJP-ruled states. What doesn’t make the situation any better is when motormouth BJP ministers and leaders sympathise with criminals.
Dear Mr Prime Minister, please do reply to these questions that millions of Indians seek an answer to.