About 10,000 broadband users in eastern Singapore affected by outage

Getty Images

A fibre cable cut has led to 10,000 broadband users in the eastern parts of Singapore to experience connection issues as from Wednesday afternoon (14 November) with services expected to be progressively restored by Thursday afternoon, said fibre connection provider NetLink Trust (NLT).

NLT said in a statement that the areas affected included Pasir Ris, Tampines, Changi and Loyang.

At around 2.50pm, NLT said it received reports of a fibre service interruption. “This interruption was subsequently confirmed to be caused by a third party contractor which severed a number of fibre cables whilst performing construction works along Tampines Avenue 9,” it added.

A recovery team has been deployed onsite and service restoration is underway. NLT said it is working with the internet service providers to ensure that service to the affected areas will be restored as soon as possible.

Five internet service providers – Singtel, M1, StarHub, ViewQwest and MyRepublic – have confirmed that their broadband subscribers in Pasir Ris and Tampines were affected in the incident.

NLT also experienced a fibre cut incident on 21 March, leading to a network outage affecting some 700 users in the Jurong area.

The incident on Wednesday comes more than four months after Singtel reported that its users were cut off from the internet for more than three hours in the early hours of 4 July due to a fibre broadband outage. The network operator had ruled out a cyber attack then.

In the July incident, outages were reported across the island in areas like Woodlands, Jurong, Bedok, Queenstown, and Punggol, according to media reports.

More Singapore stories:

Father who raped teen daughter twice in Punggol flat gets 26 years’ jail, 24 strokes

As long as I’m happy, I know I’m going to go fast: Joseph Schooling

SingHealth cyberattack: Singapore government reported incident in ‘remarkably’ short time

Driver who lost control and plunged SBS Transit lorry into drain fined $2,000