Fifteen people were hospitalised following a gastroenteritis outbreak across four PCF Sparkletots Preschool outlets that left over 100 people ill.
Six of the 15 have since been discharged, according to a joint statement on Wednesday (27 March) by the Ministry of Health (MOH), National Environment Agency (NEA) and Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA).
It added that the 109 cases of gastroenteritis have been traced to the consumption of food prepared by Kate’s Catering. The business is listed on the Health Promotion Board (HPB) website as one of its Healthier Dining Partners.
Last Thursday, authorities inspected the caterer’s premises at KA Food Link at 171 Kampong Ampat “upon notification of the first cluster”.
“Additional clusters were reported on Mar 25, 2019, and the caterer has been instructed by NEA to suspend its operations with effect from Mar 26, while investigations by the agencies are ongoing,” the statement said.
Food handlers were also sent for stool screening and food and environmental samples taken for testing.
According to a food hygiene notice on the NEA website, Kate’s Catering had its license suspended on Tuesday until further notice, while investigations into the outbreak take place. The website also shows that the caterer had accumulated six demerit points in the past year.
“All food handlers working in the suspended premises are required to re-attend and pass the Basic Food Hygiene Course, before they can resume work as food handlers.
“The appointed Food Hygiene Officer(s) working at the suspended premises is also required to re-attend and pass the Food Hygiene Officer course before he/she can resume work as a Food Hygiene Officer,” said the notice.
Last month, 30 children and one employee were affected following a gastroenteritis outbreak at the MindChamps pre-school’s Tanglin branch.
In November 2018, another outbreak linked to the River Valley branch of Spize Restaurant saw a total of 72 cases of gastroenteritis. Sats employee Fadli Salleh, 38, subsequently died as a result of his illness.
More Singapore stories: