SINGAPORE — At least two fires involving personal mobility devices (PMDs) occurred on Saturday (8 June) while their batteries were being charged, resulting in one casualty.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said in a Facebook post that it responded to a fire in a 6th floor unit at Block 301 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 at 10.45am on Saturday.
The blaze involved a PMD battery in a bedroom and was extinguished by the SCDF using two compressed air foam backpacks. There were no reported injuries, said the SCDF.
On the same day, at about 5.35pm, the SCDF responded to a fire in a 13th floor unit at Block 52 Marine Terrace.
The fire involved a PMD in the kitchen and was extinguished by the unit's occupant with buckets of water.
The occupant suffered burn injuries and was conveyed to the Singapore General Hospital, said the SCDF.
Preliminary investigations indicated that both fires were of electrical origin from the PMD batteries which were charging.
“LTA encourages all PMD owners to use UL2272 certified devices. When purchasing a PMD, look out for the UL2272 Certification Marks,” added the SCDF.
More Singapore stories: