200ha bushes in Sarawak destroyed in fire

Mohd Roji Kawi

KUCHING: A total of 163 open burning cases were ravaging some 200 hectares of land were reported since early this month. State Fire and Rescue Department director Nor Hisham Mohamad said the cases identified involved bush fire, open burning on garden or farm as well as peat land fire. The first open burning cases for the month, he said, was reported in Miri on Aug 3 followed by seven cases recorded in other parts of the state during the following day. “Since then, the department have been receiving reports on open burning involving forest, peat land and bushes until Wednesday (Aug 15). “These areas are vulnerable to open burning especially during the hot and dry weather. “The situation worsened if open burning occurred on peat land since it will made it harder for firefighters to put off the fire,” he said. For this month, Nor Hisham said Sibu recorded the highest number open burning occurrence, which is 46 cases, involving forest and peat land fire.


A total of 163 open burning cases were ravaging some 200 hectares of land were reported since early this month. Pix courtesy of Fire and Rescue Department

A total of 23 cases in Miri followed by 14 cases in Mukah were reported during the same period. He said 17 other areas statewide recorded below than 10 cases of open burning. The areas are Kapit, Petra Jaya, Batu Lintang, Simunjan, Limbang, Bintulu, Tabuan Jaya, Tanjung Manis, Bintangor, Kanowit, Lundu, Siburan, Kota Samarahan, Serian, Betong, Sarikei and Saratok. Nor Hisham reiterated his reminder against the public to avoid open burning especially during the current hot weather and dry spell. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd