3.1 million summons with fines totalling RM435 million to be cancelled, says Loke

Hashini Kavishtri Kannan, Zanariah Abd Mutalib

PUTRAJAYA: A total of 3.1 million Automated Enforcement System (AES) summons with fines totalling RM435 million will be cancelled.

Transport Minister Anthony Loke said, as part of Pakatan Harapan’s 100-day pledge, the cabinet today decided that summons issued since 2012 would be cancelled.

“In conjunction with the upcoming Hari Raya Aidil Adha celebration, we have decided to korban (sacrifice) the RM435 million. This is a one-off,” he said, adding that such cancellations would not be offered after August 31.

“For the next five years under the Pakatan Harapan government, there will not be a second time. There won’t be such offers or discounts.”

He said those who had already paid their summons (18 per cent or 659,934 of the total number of summons issued) would not be refunded.

“I’m sorry to say that there won’t be any refunds for those who have paid as the government can’t afford it. In the spirit of korban, those who have paid have to korban what they have paid.”

Loke said the cabinet had also decided that the government would take over the operation of AES from the two concession companies — ATES and Beta Tegap.

“The two companies’ contracts which end on Aug 31 will not be renewed.

“The Road and Transport Department will take over the installation of cameras and issuing of summons on Sept 1.”

He added that in 2015, the previous government had decided that Lembaga Tabung Angkatan Tentera (LTAT) through Irat Properties Sdn Bhd had to pay RM550 million to take over the two concession companies to run the AES operations.

These companies had no assets, other than 40 cameras, he said.

“This is not fair to the military personnel. Therefore the government has decided to pay back the money to LTAT and this will be done in stages.

“We will conduct discussions with the Finance Ministry, Defence Ministry and LTAT to decide how the money is to be paid in stages.”

“I can assure you that summons paid will be channeled to the government fund, unlike previously where it was used to pay the concession companies.”

He said discussions would be held with the Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research on the installation of AES cameras, especially in accident-prone areas.

On another issue, Loke said the cabinet had also decided to postpone the eCall system which was supposed to be implemented in July next year.

“This was decided after considering the grouses of car manufacturers who are not ready for the new system. This is also to avoid a hike in car prices,” he added.

The system automatically sends an SOS signal to the Malaysian Emergency Response Services, which will forward the call to relevant emergency agencies in the event of an accident. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd