4 rescued, 60 evacuated after PMD-related fire in Ang Mo Kio flat

(PHOTOS: SCDF/Yahoo News Singapore)
(PHOTOS: SCDF/Yahoo News Singapore)

SINGAPORE — Four people were rescued and about 60 evacuated after a fire, caused by a personal mobility device, broke out at an Ang Mo Kio flat on Monday afternoon (22 July).

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said in a Facebook post that it responded to a fire in a 4th-floor unit at Block 224, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1 at about 3.05pm.

“Upon arrival, the fire was raging and involved the contents of the entire unit. The fire was extinguished with one water jet,” said the SCDF.

One adult and three children from the immediate neighbouring unit were rescued, while about 60 people from the affected block were evacuated by both SCDF and police officers.

Preliminary investigations indicate the fire originated from a PMD placed in the kitchen, said the SCDF.

The SCDF added that all PMD owners are encouraged by the Land Transport Authority to use UL2272 certified devices.

It remains unclear whether the PMD involved in the fire on Monday was UL2272-certified.

Last Thursday morning, three people were conveyed to hospital and about 70 evacuated after a fire, believed to be caused by two e-scooters, broke out at a Bukit Batok flat. A 40-year-old man died in hospital two days later.

Earlier this month, a fire broke out in the living room in a Tampines flat after a PMD that was being charged caught fire.

Last month, two separate fires that occurred on the the same day were found to be have been caused by PMDs.

According to official figures from the SCDF, the number of fires involving such devices and power-assisted bicycles spiked last year at 74 cases, increasing by more than 50 per cent from the year before.


Related stories:

3 conveyed to hospital after fire in Bukit Batok flat, 2 e-scooters likely cause

51 per cent spike in PAB, PMD fire cases last year: SCDF

E-scooter rider jailed 2 weeks for knocking down elderly man, then hurting woman in his escape