5 injured in 'industrial incident' at Bukit Batok Crescent

Gabriel Choo
The explosion took place at an 11th floor unit of the Enterprise Centre at Bukit Batok Crescent. (PHOTO: Gabriel Choo / Yahoo News Singapore)

Five people have been injured in an “industrial incident” that took place at the Enterprise Centre building along Bukit Batok Crescent at around 11am on Monday (11 September).

Yahoo News Singapore understands that an explosion took place on the building’s 11th floor. At the scene, broken glass and other debris were spotted strewn around the building – extending as far as across the street from the site.

“The industrial incident resulted in the partial collapse of a wall and significant damage within the premises. No one was trapped in the incident,” said the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) in a Facebook post.

There was no fire at the scene upon the arrival of SCDF personnel and the five injured workers have been taken to hospitals, the post added. One fire engine, three Red Rhinos, three ambulances and three support vehicles were sent to attend to the incident.

Shattered glass seen strewn across the street from the Enterprise Centre where the blast took place. (PHOTO: Gabriel Choo / Yahoo News Singapore)

Lee Teck Nam, 64, who works at the Da Jia Hao Canteen opposite the Enterprise Centre and heard the blast, said, “It was one loud explosion that sounded like a bomb.”

“Luckily it was raining and there weren’t many people walking outside, if not the casualty rate would have been higher as there would be (more human) traffic,” he told Yahoo News Singapore in Mandarin.

Lee’s vehicle, which he had parked in an open-air space across the street from the incident site, was hit by debris from the blast and had one of its side-view mirrors broken.

Lee Teck Nam, who had parked his car across the street from the Enterprise Building, showing where the debris from the blast landed on his vehicle. (PHOTO: Gabriel Choo / Yahoo News Singapore)

The blast was strong enough to send debris flying into the same coffee shop, said its drinks stall owner Ah Lau. “I got a shock , I thought it was a thunder then I thought it could be a bomb. Thankfully it’s not,” said the 60-year-old.

Investigations into the incident are ongoing.

Watch footage of the incident here: