6 foreigners, 1 M'sian nabbed for suspected links to terror groups: IGP

FAISAL ASYRAF

KUALA LUMPUR: Six foreigners and a Malaysian were picked up in the city and Selangor, between Feb 21 and 26, over suspected terrorism-related activities.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said the first two men, an Indonesian man and a Malaysian man, were arrested ln Kepong, here.

The men, aged 28 and 41 respectively, were picked up on Feb 21. The Malaysian is a factory technician, while the Indonesian is a farmer.

The duo is believed to have received an order from Mohamad Wanndy Mohamad Jedi to launch a big-scale attack in the country using a Vehicle-Borne Improvised Explosive Device (car bomb).

Khalid said the men had planned to flee and join the Islamic State group in Syria after the attack. It is learnt that the Indonesian man had been deported by Turkish authorities after he tried to enter Syria via Turkey.

On Feb 23, a 37-year-old man from an unnamed country in East Asia was arrested in Petaling Jaya, Selangor.

Khalid said the man is a member of a militant group in East Asia which uses Malaysia as a transit point to other countries.

The man has been in the country since 2011 under the pretext of studying at a public university in the Klang Valley using a fake student ID.

Khalid said on Feb 26, the Special Branch's Counter-Terrorism Division had also arrested four Yemeni men in Serdang and Cyberjaya, Selangor.

Khalid said the men are suspected of having joined a rebel group in Yemen.

Preliminary investigation revealed that they had also been involved in a syndicate forging travel documents.

Police seized various international passports and RM270,000 in cash in several currencies. The money is believed to have been destined for transfer to the rebel group.