Advertisement

Air Force downs 18 targets in response to overnight Russian missile strike, mitigating consequences

Smoke rises over a high-voltage power line at the site of a missile attack in Kharkiv, March 22
Smoke rises over a high-voltage power line at the site of a missile attack in Kharkiv, March 22

In a renewed assault, Russia targeted Ukraine’s energy infrastructure with a massive missile strike, reaching western regions of the country, where 18 missiles were intercepted by the Air Forces, Ukrainian authorities reported on Telegram on March 31.

NV has gathered the main information about the attack so far.

At around 04:30 AM EET, Ukrainian Air Force warned of missiles being launched from Tu-95MS in the area of the launching borders in Saratov Oblast of Russian Federation.

Cruise missiles reached western regions of the country. Powerful explosions were reported in Volyn and Lviv oblasts. Air defense was also operating in Kyiv.

In the morning, Air Force Commander Mykola Oleshchuk reported on the results of combat operations.

According to him, Russians attacked Ukraine with:

  • 14 cruise missiles X-101/X-555 from Tu-95MS strategic aircraft (launched from Saratov Oblast of Russia)

  • 11 attack drones (launched from areas of Primorsko-Akhtarsk of Russia, and temporarily occupied Crimea)

  • Iskander-M ballistic missile (from Crimea)

  • X-59 guided missile (from skies of occupied parts of Zaporizhzhya Oblast)

Read also: Russia unleashes potent ODAB-1500 air bomb in Ukraine for the first time

Air defense forces destroyed 18 air targets, including nine X-101/X-555 cruise missiles and nine Shahed-136/131 attack UAVs.

As a result of the massive Russian attack, several regions of Ukraine have been hit, critical and civilian infrastructure has been damaged.

Odesa Oblast

Defense Forces of Southern Ukraine noted that the energy infrastructure of Odesa Oblast was targeted again.

Read also: Odesa’s electric public transport suspended due to power shortage following Russian drone attack

Air Force said that Ukrainian air defense had shot down eight Shahed kamikaze drones over oblast.

Falling wreckage of downed drone caused a fire at one of the region's power facilities, leaving several villages without electricity.

Later, Odesa City Council said that electric transport in Odesa was temporarily suspended due to the night attack.

Read also: Thousands in Odesa Oblast lose power following new Russian attack on energy infrastructure

As of 10:00 a.m., 10,000 people in Odesa Oblast were left without electricity, said Oleh Kiper, head of the regional power company.

DTEK noted that at 11:40 a.m. emergency shutdown occurred at one of Odesa's high-voltage substations. Residents of Khadzhybey and Kyiv districts, as well as part of Odesa district of oblast, were temporarily left without electricity.

Ukrenergo said that as of 13:00 a.m., power supply were restored to all consumers in Odesa Oblast.

They added that electricity consumption restrictions have been lifted in all regions of Ukraine. However, they may be reintroduced during evening peak hours.

Kherson Oblast

Southern Defense Forces also reported an attack on the "agro-industrial facilities of the Kherson Oblast."

It is noted that Russians attacked Kherson region not only with drones, but also with ballistic and guided missiles. Russia hit a mothballed agricultural enterprise. No one were injured.

Lviv Oblast

Head of the Lviv Oblast Military Administration, Maksym Kozytskyi, said that enemy attacked critical infrastructure facility in Lviv Oblast that was targeted on March 24 and 29 with cruise missiles.

Read also: One person reported dead as Russia strikes same energy facility in Lviv Oblast third time in a row

One man was killed in a Russian missile attack on March 31.

According to governor, an administrative building was also destroyed. In addition, a fire broke out but was quickly extinguished by firefighters.

Currently, rescue operations are underway as people may still be under rubble.

Rivne Oblast

Head of the Rivne Oblast Military Administration, Oleksandr Koval, said that as a result of a massive Russian attack, debris of a downed air target damaged an electric pole.

Read also: Falling debris damages power pole and maternity center in Rivne Oblast, no casualties reported, says regional governor

He noted that specialists are working at the site and power supply has been restored.

According to him, the paramedic and obstetric center also suffered minor damage. No one was killed or injured.

We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!

Read the original article on The New Voice of Ukraine