KOTA BARU: Many foreigners working in various sectors in Kelantan, mostly at construction sites, will adhere to the government’s 3+1 programme with regard to foreign workers, although a majority of them just arrived in this country.
Bangladeshi Rakib Hassan said he has no choice and had to follow the directive although he just arrived in Malaysia three months ago.
“I come from a poor family and decided to come to Malaysia to work so that I can help my family.
“I am using valid papers and it will only expire next year. But because two of my friends' documents will expire soon, I will be returning home with them,” said the 21-year-old when met at a shopping complex, here.
Rakib who is from Mondu, Bangladesh, works at a construction site in Jelawat, Bachok with his two friends.
For Myanmar citizen Anower Hussain, 23, he expressed sadness knowing that many of his friends had already returned to their country recently to avoid from being arrested following the rehiring programme.
“However, we have adhered to the Malaysian government’s directive. Otherwise, we might be arrested and compounded by the Immigration Department,” he said.
The construction worker who has been in Malaysia for five years, also hoped that the government would reconsider the decision.
“Many foreigners like to work in Malaysia because it is peaceful. We hope the government will consider allowing us to work here again,” he said.
The Immigration Department launched its Ops Mega 3.0 following the end of the rehiring programme on June 30.
The 3+1 Programme is a voluntary surrender programme to enable all illegal immigrants in the country who are not eligible under the Rehiring Programme to return to their countries of origin, voluntarily.
Failure to do so by Aug 30 will see them facing arrests. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd