Apple suppliers hint at Sept debut for iPhone 5 and iPad 3

Activities of Taiwan-based suppliers suggest a September debut for two of Apple’s most anticipated mobile devices —the iPhone 5 and the iPad 3, a tech site reported over the weekend.

Digitimes cited industry sources, who said that the upstream suppliers for the two devices appear to have begun to prepare materials for production.

“The sources pointed out that Apple only plans to launch one model of the new iPhone, while iPad 3 has just recently been added to the production schedule with both set to be produced in small volumes in August and the volume will start picking up in September and October," the Digitimes report said.

The report said that the component makers include:

Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry), assembling the devices;
Simplo Technologies and Dynapack International Technology, in charge of manufacturing batteries;
TPK Holding and Wintek, in charge of touch panel modules;
Catcher, in charge of chassis; and
Largan Precision, in charge of webcams

Simply supplies up to 65 percent of Apple’s total battery demand with Dynapack owning the other 35 percent.

According to Digitimes' sources, the iPhone 5’s supply volume is estimated at six to seven million units in the third quarter.

Combined with iPhone 4 shipments, the total iPhone shipments in the quarter are expected to reach 24 to 25 million units, with volumes to remain at the same level in the fourth quarter.

In 2011, Apple is forecast to ship over 85 million iPhones.

The Digitimes report also said the shipments of iPad series products including iPad 2 will likely to surpass 15 million units, while iPad’s supply volume for 2011 will likely break 40 million units.

It added Apple’s upstream suppliers appeared to have recently increased their estimated supply volumes for the second half.

This shows Apple is set to attack with another wave of new devices, before its competitors become strong, Digitimes quoted its sources as saying. — TJD, GMA News

--

Get stories like this on the Yahoo app and discover more every day.
Download it now.
Loading...

Latest News