Hugo Lloris, who has rightfully drawn praise for being one of the best keepers at this World Cup, was receiving a fairly simply back-pass from Samuel Umtiti. In spite of the fact that Croatia striker Mario Mandzukic was charging at him full bore, Lloris opted to take a rather casual touch before clearing the danger.
That touch was all Mandzukic needed as he pounced on the Tottenham keeper’s mistake, dispossessed him of the ball and stuck it into the back of the net.
Oh no Hugo Lloris, what is you doing? pic.twitter.com/ui8g6ZOiPp
— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) July 15, 2018
The goal brought the score to 4-2, leaving Croatia some 20 minutes to find the two additional goals that could force the match to extra time and keep its chance of winning a first World Cup alive.
More World Cup on Yahoo Sports:
• Here are the top 18 moments of the 2018 World Cup
• World Cup: The best 23 players in Russia
• President Trump congratulates France … and Putin after World Cup final
• England’s Harry Kane wins most unimpressive Golden Boot ever
• France storms to second World Cup title in 4-2 victory over Croatia