Balakong by-election: Wong pauses campaign to attend court hearing

Hidir Reduan and Fahmy Azril Rosli

PUTRAJAYA: Pakatan Harapan’s Balakong by-election candidate temporarily halted her campaigning effort today to attend a court case, involving an attempted rape of two underaged sisters.

Wong Siew Ki was spotted entering the Sessions Court (Special Court on Sexual Offences Against Children) at 9am.

When met later, the DAP member said she was there as a witness for a case that happened in Seri Kembangan, during her tenure as councillor for Subang Jaya Municipal Council last year.

She had since resigned from the post to be a candidate.

Wong said she was summoned as one of the main witnesses in the case as she had helped lodge a police report on the matter.

The 32-year-old said despite the ongoing campaign in Balakong, she still need to attend the

first day hearing of the case as it has been previously scheduled.

“The case involved the girls' neighbour who allegedly tried to entice them to come over to his house.

“The girls were from a poor family and they had reached out to me for help,” said Wong.

She added that the neighbour, in his 40s, had been charged at an earlier date.

Wong will face a straight fight against MCA’s Tan Chee Teong for the state seat.

The seat fell vacant following the death of its incumbent Eddie Ng Tien Chee, who was killed in an accident at KM11.7 of the Grand Saga Highway, Cheras, on July 20. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd