Batu Ferringhi jet ski incident 'purely an accident', say police

Shamsul Munir Safini

GEORGE TOWN: Police have ruled out foul play in the jet ski mishap in Batu Ferringhi on Monday which claimed the life of 9-year-old Jordan Phang Wen Jie. Northeast district police chief Assistant Commissioner Anuar Omar said the case had been classified as sudden death. Police, he said, had summoned the operator of the jet ski to have his statement recorded to assist in investigation. “It is purely an accident case and there is no element of foul play involved,” he said today. In the 7.30pm incident on Monday, Phang, from Selangor, died when the jet ski he was riding pillion on collided with the one ridden by his mother. The impact of the crash caused the victim to fall into the sea and family members took him to a hotel’s poolside to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Paramedics later confirmed he died at the scene. Yesterday, Penang Island City Council Mayor Yew Tung Seang said that the water-sports operator offering the jet ski services had been suspended with immediate effect pending investigation. He had also said that the investigation committee which met to discuss the matter decided that action should be taken against the company. Meanwhile, a representative of the company told the New Straits Times that Monday’s jet ski mishap was the first fatal incident involving the company which has been in operation for more than 10 years. The beach boy, who was riding the jet ski Phang was on, sustained minor injuries to his ribs.

Get the latest World Cup 2018 scores, highlights and updates from our dedicated news page,click here © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd