Bayern Munich have reportedly ‘asked’ about signing Manchester City full-back Joao Cancelo on loan, despite the player having an agreement in place with Barcelona.
Cancelo spent the second half of last season on loan at the Allianz Arena and the German side had the chance to make the signing permanent at the end of 2022/23, but Thomas Tuchel decided he did not want the player.
The Portuguese’s time in Bavaria was pretty disappointing after many were shocked that Pep Guardiola allowed a player of his calibre to leave in January.
Guardiola’s decision was more than justified as City went on to win the FA Cup, Premier League and Champions League with natural central defenders Manuel Akanji and Nathan Ake sharing the playing time in left-back.
With Bayern not interested in buying Cancelo, Barcelona and Arsenal have reportedly been keen to sign the former Juventus defender.
City are believed to be reluctant to sell or loan to Arsenal after Mikel Arteta’s side ran them very close in the Premier League title race last season, which was partly due to the fact the Cityzens sold them Gabriel Jesus and Oleksandr Zinchenko in the 2022 summer transfer window.
This has left Barcelona as the frontrunners for Cancelo’s signature and after weeks of talks with City and the player’s representatives, they got the “here we go” from Fabrizio Romano.
However, the La Liga champions’ precarious financial position has cast doubt over their agreement to sign the player on an initial loan deal.
There was a buy option included in the agreement but Barcelona are reportedly looking to remove it, which does not do much for City.
It was reported on Friday that Arsenal have enquired about the possibility of signing Cancelo on a season-long loan deal and now Bayern are back in the race, according to reports.
Sky Germany journalist Florian Plettenberg says Bayern have ‘enquired’ and ‘asked for a loan move’.
It is added that Barca ‘cannot sign him at this stage’ despite a ‘verbal agreement’ being in place.
No Blaugrana medical has taken place and Cancelo is now ‘waiting’ to see what will happen on deadline day.
Tuchel has obviously decided he needs the extra depth in defence at the last minute after deciding in June that Cancelo was not the player for him.
Bayern’s interest was first reported by Spanish journalist Toni Juanmarti, who said on Friday morning that an unnamed Champions League club had been ‘informed’ about the 29-year-old’s ‘situation’.
Juanmarti later confirmed that the club is Bayern, though Barca believe they have ‘closed’ the deal to sign the Manchester City full-back.
Arsenal: Over-thinking Arteta has to make obvious Gabriel, Havertz decisions and go back to basics
The article Bayern join Arsenal in race to hijack Barca signing as Tuchel ‘enquires’ amid Man City uncertainty appeared first on Football365.com.