Before she died in this house in 1904, the Sultana sold the property to Sultan Abu Bakar’s son, Sultan Ibrahim Iskandar. He rebuilt Istana Woodneuk in the 1930s for his Scottish born wife Helen Bartholomew. Istana Woodneuk has endured the test of time, nature and human brutality. It is important to note that Istana Woodneuk is not Istana Tyersall, another grand mansion of Sultan Abu Bakar’s not too far away from Woodneuk.
- Australian drug smugglers being taken to Indonesian island for execution - media
By Jane Wardell and Beawiharta SYDNEY/DENPASAR, Indonesia (Reuters) - Two convicted Australian drug smugglers were removed from a prison in Bali on Wednesday to be taken to an Indonesian island where they will be shot by firing squad, Australian media reported. The planned executions of Myuran Sukumaran, 33, and Andrew Chan, 31, have ratcheted up diplomatic tensions amid repeated pleas of mercy for the pair from Australia and thrown a spotlight on Indonesia's increasing use of the death penalty for foreigners. Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said he was "revolted by the prospect of these executions", a harsh response after Indonesian President Joko Widodo recently told other countries to stay out of his country's sovereign affairs.
- Singaporeans get witty with #smrtmovies tweets inspired by SMRT train disruptions
Today on Yahoo
Featured Blog Posts
- Singapore blog questions 'over-usage' of SG50 branding - What’s buzzing?
- Singaporeans get witty with #smrtmovies tweets inspired by SMRT train … - What’s buzzing?
- COMMENT: Is the “Singapore Dream” an elusive one? - SingaporeScene
Latest Sports Blog Posts
- Russell Westbrook drops fourth straight triple-double four days after facial surgery
- Tyler Zeller's game-winning buzzer-beating layup pushes Celtics past Jazz
- Marc Gasol hits game-winner to send Grizzlies past Rockets in controversial finish
- The Premier League's fittest player? Burnley's 'Running Man' George Boyd
- Here's why the Gunners will blow the Devils away this weekend