Man found in container with corpse

Man trapped in container with a decomposing corpse. (AFP file photo)Man trapped in container with a decomposing corpse. (AFP file photo)

A Bangladeshi man and a decomposing corpse were found in a container at Pasir Panjang Container Terminal on Sunday night.

Dock workers heard banging sounds coming from the container, which had been there since late last month and had been believed to be empty.

When they opened it, they were shocked to find a Bangladeshi man alive and desperate to get out due to the foul stench from his companion's decomposing corpse.

The container supposedly came from Bangladesh with the two men in it and was dropped off at the port here.

The Straits Times understood from dock workers that all containers from Singapore are put through a scanner before being transported into the port, while containers from other countries might not undergo that process.

What was surprising was that these containers were sealed and it would have been impossible for anybody to get into them.

PSA Corp, which manages the port, told the same paper that the incident is being investigated by the police.

At around 8:20pm on Sunday, the container was being moved onto a trailer to be reloaded onto a ship sailing to Vietnam. However, to the surprise of the trailer driver, he heard faint banging noises coming from inside.

When the container was opened, the stench from the decomposing body was so strong that dock workers had to move away from it.

The deceased man was in his 40s, and was pronounced dead by paramedics at about 8:50pm, said a police spokesman.

Chinese evening paper Lianhe Wanbao reported that, from the state of decomposition, he could have been dead for more than four days.

There was nothing else in the container apart from the two men.

The other man, who is in his 20s, was taken to Alexandra Hospital and is assisting police with investigations.

Follow Yahoo! News on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.

  • Singapore activist sued by PM breaks down in court
    Singapore activist sued by PM breaks down in court

    Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong sued Roy Ngerng in May 2014 over a blog post that accused the 63-year-old leader of misusing money from the state pension scheme, the Central Provident Fund (CPF), a sensitive issue for officials in the city-state known to have the least corrupt government in Asia. The defamation suit is the first ever brought by a Singapore leader against an online critic, but international human rights groups have repeatedly accused Singapore's leaders of using financially ruinous libel actions to silence opponents.

  • Banned S’pore Film Available On DVD & Streaming — But Not In Its Home Country
    Banned S’pore Film Available On DVD & Streaming — But Not In Its Home Country

    This article originally appeared on Vulcan Post.  Still no love to Singapore: those who missed the opportunity to catch the film To Singapore, With Love can now do so on DVD. Except — it doesn’t ship to Singapore, but of course. On the film’s Facebook page, it was announced that the controversial documentary by local The post Banned S’pore Film Available On DVD & Streaming — But Not In Its Home Country appeared first on Vulcan Post.

  • Tighten Up: New Security Measures For SingPass To Launch On 5 July
    Tighten Up: New Security Measures For SingPass To Launch On 5 July

    This article originally appeared on Vulcan Post.  Just days after a phishing scam was found to be circulating via email, SingPass has announced measures to tighten up security by introducing improved features as part of the enhanced SingPass. This will be launched on 5 July, the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) said yesterday. SingPass currently serves The post Tighten Up: New Security Measures For SingPass To Launch On 5 July appeared first on Vulcan Post.