Photo by Jerome Ascano/NPPA Images
Young and old movie idols, Philippine sports team winning abroad, the national language month, and the driver of a floating car are on this week's list of trending topics on Yahoo! Search.
1. Kim Chiu. Lately, Kapamilya actress Kim Chiu has been spiking on Yahoo! Search, as her fans anticipate her upcoming TV series "My Binondo Girl." She plays both a man and a woman in her new show. Last week, Kim and other stars and staff of the show flew to Hong Kong to shoot some scenes. The series is her first without former screen partner Gerald Anderson. Kim says she hopes fans will still support her even if she's not with Gerald this time.
2. Sarah Geronimo and Angeline Quinto. Both winners of singing competitions on television, "Star Power" grand winner Angeline Quinto and Pop Star Princess Sarah Geronimo are often pitted against each other. Because of this, Sarah admits she avoided a showdown between them, but she says she is open to doing a concert with Angeline. While Sarah was not able to join Angeline in her concert last month, the two recently performed together in "ASAP."
3. Smart Gilas Pilipinas. The Philippines' national men's basketball team, Smart Gilas Pilipinas, has been performing well in the Jones Cup 2011 in Taiwan. Smart Gilas beat Iran during the opening game on Saturday and did the same to Taiwan on Sunday. However, the team lost to Jordan the next day. The team bounced back on Tuesday with a win against Malaysia, but lost to South Korea on Wednesday.
4. Miss Universe 2011. Yahoo! Philippines users are getting excited about this year's Miss Universe beauty pageant, which will happen on September 12 in Brazil. The country's official candidate, Binibining Pilipinas-Universe Shamcey Supsup, flew to Sao Paolo alone on Monday. Shamcey said she's determined and worked hard to get the crown, and "with the support of everyone, I believe I have the chance."
5. Jake Ejercito. The son of former President Joseph Estrada and actress Laarni Enriquez, Jake Ejercito, is romantically linked to Andi Eigenmann. He is supportive of Andi and was even initially thought as the father of the child Andi is carrying. However, her family clarified that the child's real father is Andi's ex-boyfriend, believed by many to be young actor Albie Casiño.
6. Enrique Gil and Julia Montes. Kapamilya teen stars Enrique Gil and Julia Montes are in the cast of Star Cinema's "Way Back Home." Enrique, who replaced Albie, will play opposite Kathryn Bernardo. He recently trended on Twitter after guesting on "Gandang Gabi, Vice." Meanwhile, Julia, who played Clara in "Mara Clara," is paired with Sam Concepcion, who took over the role initially assigned to the late AJ Perez. Julia has recently been called "the next Claudine Barretto," and she is happy but pressured about being compared to her idol.
7. Buwan ng Wika. August is the national language month or "Buwan ng Wika." On August 12, 1988, President Corazon Aquino issued Proclamation No. 19 proclaiming National Language Week on August 13 to 19. Former President Ramos expanded the celebration by issuing Proclamation No. 1041 on January 15, 1997, which declares August as "National Language Month."
As the nation celebrates the national language month, Kabataan Partylist Rep. Mong Palatino filed a resolution that seeks to probe the penalties imposed by some schools on students who use their mother tongue in school. To promote the use of English languange, certain schools have been reported to fine students who do not use the colonial language inside the campus.
8. Julie Ann San Jose. Kapuso Talent Julie Ann San Jose -- who was David Archuleta's front act in his Manila concert last month -- is part of the cast of an upcoming GMA Films movie "Tween Academy: Class of 2012." She will also be seen later this year with her screen partner Elmo Magalona in the series "Daldakina," which will be topbilled by child actress Jillian Ward.
9. Christopher Lao. UP College of Law student Christopher Lao, whose car floated when he drove through a flooded road in Quezon City, became at the receiving end of insults on social media sites after his August 2 interview with GMA Network became viral. In the interview, he blamed the Metro Manila Development Authority, the media crew, and the bystanders for not informing him about the flood. His line "I should have been informed," became an Internet meme. Former UP Law dean Marvic Leonen defended Lao, while GMA News called on the public to stop the insults. For its part, media watchdog Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility said Lao, who has since apologized for his behavior, is a victim of "social media excess."
10. Nora Aunor. The Philippines' superstar, Nora Aunor, now 58, is finally back in the country. In an August 2 press conference held to welcome her, she admitted her past errors and asked for forgiveness from those she had hurt, including former President Estrada, whom she abandoned during EDSA 2. She plays the role of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo's second wife in the biopic "El Presidente."
These trending searches are for August 1 to 7, 2011. Check out the previous Yahoo! Search Trends article, "Lovi Poe, typhoons, and holidays are Yahoo! Search's top scene stealers."