KUALA LUMPUR, March 8 — Finance Minister II Datuk Seri Johari Abdul Ghani assured over 700,000 Malaysians today that they will receive their Bantuan Rakyat 1Malaysia (BR1M) cash aid next week, after a delay due to a verification incident with the Companies Commission of Malaysia (CCM).
He said the CCM check was merely for verification purposes if the applicants did not have relevant supporting documents like payslips or bank statements.
“Do not use CCM as an excuse, it is to check for additional information. It is used when there is no payslip or bank statement.
“I have ordered so that the 705,562 people get their online payments by next week,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby here.
Johari explained that his ministry has already rejected 600,000 applicants as they did not fulfil the required criteria such as an income of below RM4,000 which can incur an additional RM700,000 million cost to Putrajaya.
He also said all those who first received BR1M last year will need to provide their latest supporting documents to get the second payment in June.
“I have ordered the income tax department to pay all those who have gotten BR1M before but please update your details in the next three months.
“This is to ensure that non-targeted groups do not receive the money. If we don’t do verification, the government [will have to] pay out over RM700,000 million for the non-targeted group’s,” Johari said.
He also revealed many of the 600,000 rejected applicants had a monthly income above the RM4,000 ceiling set by the government for the cash aid.
“Those above RM10,000 had also applied, some even RM12,000,” he said.