British police arrest reporter in phone-hacking case

British police investigating phone hacking at Rupert Murdoch's News of the World arrested the former chief reporter of the tabloid for allegedly intimidating a witness.

Neville Thurlbeck was initially arrested on suspicion of the illegal interception of mobile phone voicemails in April last year and has been on police bail ever since.

Scotland Yard said a 51-year-old man was arrested by appointment on Wednesday at a central London police station "on suspicion of intimidation of a witness... and encouraging or assisting an offence".

Thurlbeck was later released on bail until April pending further enquiries, according to police.

It confirmed he had originally been arrested on April 5, 2011 and identified him as Suspect A in Operation Weeting, the force's phone-hacking investigation. Thurlbeck was identified at the time as Suspect A.

Thurlbeck last week wrote a blog publishing the street address of Will Lewis, a senior executive at News International, the British newspaper arm of Murdoch's US-based News Corporation empire.

He later removed the address, saying he accepted that it was "distressing to his family" and that he "would like to apologise to Mrs Lewis for any distress".

News International said it had no comment on the arrest.

Thurlbeck has sued the company for unfair dismissal.

The former reporter issued a statement late Wednesday in which he "vigorously denied the allegations of any wrongdoing", calling the claims "extremely far-fetched."

"A complaint had been made and acted upon very swiftly indeed," he wrote. "It really didn't feel like England today!

"I will continue with my blog and my work regardless of today's events."

Thurlbeck added that Scotland Yard had got his age wrong, and that he was in fact only 50 years old.

His arrest came a day after police arrested former News International chief executive and ex-News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks and her husband Charlie Brooks, a close friend of Prime Minister David Cameron, on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.

Murdoch shut down the News of the World in July after evidence emerged of widespread phone hacking at the tabloid, but his British newspapers continue to be dogged by allegations they covered up the practice.

Thurlbeck is at the centre of the scandal because of an email addressed to him that allegedly shows that phone-hacking at the News of the World was more widespread than previously claimed by newspaper executives.

James Murdoch, Rupert Murdoch's younger son who stepped down last week as executive chairman of News International, insisted on Wednesday that he had not misled parliament when he testified on the scandal.

"I did not know about, nor did I try to hide, wrongdoing," he wrote in a letter to parliament's media committee, which is preparing a report on the hacking scandal.

"Whilst I accept my share of responsibility for not uncovering wrongdoing sooner, I did not mislead parliament and the evidence does not support any other conclusion."

"Clearly with the benefit of hindsight, I acknowledge that wrongdoing should have been uncovered earlier," he wrote.

"I could have asked more questions, requested more documents and taken a more challenging and sceptical view of what I was told, and I will do so in the future."

He also referred to the notorious "For Neville" email, saying that he had not been shown a copy of the mail in 2008 when it surfaced in the hands of a victim of phone-hacking, and therefore was not guilty of a cover-up.

Until last year, the News of the World had maintained that hacking was limited to a single rogue reporter -- former royal editor Clive Goodman -- and private detective Glenn Mulcaire, who were both jailed in 2007.

  • Treasure trove of British newsreels reveals Top Gear's ancestors 3 hours ago
    Treasure trove of British newsreels reveals Top Gear's ancestors

    Long after television grew to dominate American and British homes, newsreel producer British Pathé kept at it, documenting the news of the day until finally ceasing production of new short films in 1970 after 60 years of effort. Last week, all of British Pathé's 85,000 films were put online — including dozens of fascinating, rare and often weird car films that resemble nothing so much as a jet-age Top Gear.

  • Nissan tests self-cleaning paint that could make car washes obsolete 4 hours ago
    Nissan tests self-cleaning paint that could make car washes obsolete

    During this vile, never-ending winter, motorists had three options to keep their cars clean: Shell out on regular car washes; slave away in the cold, wind and snow washing it yourself, or screw it and just drive a dirty car. I, like many, chose the last option. But if only I'd been able to test Nissan's self-cleaning car, all my troubles would have washed away.

  • Popular hot yoga myths debunked 11 hours ago
    Popular hot yoga myths debunked

    What’s the hottest new workout taking the world by storm? That would be hot yoga, also known as Bikram yoga. Conducted in a heated room with sweltering temperatures of about 40°C (or approximately 104° Fahrenheit) and 40 per cent humidity, … Continue reading →

  • Photo of a very thin Lee Kuan Yew sparks concern
    Photo of a very thin Lee Kuan Yew sparks concern

    A new picture of Singapore's first prime minister, Lee Kuan Yew, who is now 90 years old, has drawn concern from people on Singapore's internet space.

  • Waste oil collector struggles after STOMP posts, receives help from kind souls
    Waste oil collector struggles after STOMP posts, receives help from kind souls

    After being photographed at work in Jurong pooling used oil near coffee shops, 50-year-old Valerie Sim has been struggling to keep her family afloat. Web portals STOMP and The Real Singapore published pictures of her in February, triggering a witch hunt for others like her and comments from readers like “Who knows if they’ll use it as cooking oil?” Some readers also said they filed police reports against her and other people they believed were doing the same thing she was.

  • I tendered my resignation without securing the next job. Here’s why I don’t mind.
    I tendered my resignation without securing the next job. Here’s why I don’t mind.

    I have committed a taboo – I have tendered my resignation without securing the next job. The reactions to the announcement were varied but they all pretty much hint at a deep sense of disapproval. “Why did you do that?” It was as if I had renounced my faith. “What are you going to do from now on?” Almost as though a misfortune had incapacitated me. “What does your family have to say about it?” As if I had offered to cook for the next family dinner. I was, and still am, certain of my reasons and motivations for the resignation. However the response I received got me thinking about why people are so concerned about the gaps in their careers. The developed world evolved from an agricultural economy to an industrial economy to the service age, then to the knowledge economy in the late 1990s and 2000s marked by breakthroughs in technological innovations and competition for innovation with new products and processes that develop from the research community. According to The Work Foundation, the knowledge economy is driven by the demand for higher value added goods and services created by more sophisticated, more discerning, and better educated consumers and ... The post I tendered my resignation without securing the next job. Here’s why I don’t mind. appeared first on Vulcan Post.