Burglars grab HK$750,000 in cash and valuables during raid on Hong Kong businessman’s home

Clifford Lo
·2-min read

Burglars stole HK$750,000 (US$96,700) in cash and valuables from the home of a senior executive at a Hong Kong company, police said on Thursday.

Officers were called to the man’s flat in Grosvenor Court, at the South Horizons private housing estate in Ap Lei Chau, after the 59-year-old man reported the break-in on Wednesday evening.

On returning home at around 10.15pm, the businessman found the flat’s front door had been prised open, and the bedroom ransacked, police said.

Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.

“Initial investigation showed some jewellery with an estimated value of HK$400,000, and 10 watches worth around HK$300,000 were stolen, along with HK$50,000 and 10,000 yuan [US$1,500],” a police spokesman said.

Officers said the burglary took place sometime after the man left home around 1pm.

Police cancel Covid-19 fines handed to siblings caught up in Hong Kong protest

A source said police believed the thief followed other residents into the building through its main entrance, and escaped the same way.

Police have checked security camera footage to gather evidence, but so far no one has been arrested.

Burglaries have been on the rise across Hong Kong this year.

The official residence of the Australian consul general to Hong Kong on Island Road at Deep Water Bay was broken into on October 2. There were signs of forced entry to the property’s windows, but no items were found to be missing.

In July, a senior Swire Group executive had his house in Mount Cameron Road on The Peak broken into. His neighbour, French consul general Alexandre Giorgini, had his house burgled in January.

According to official reports, police handled 1,457 burglary cases between January and August this year, up 28 per cent from 1,138 in the same period last year.

This article Burglars grab HK$750,000 in cash and valuables during raid on Hong Kong businessman’s home first appeared on South China Morning Post

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2020.