British schoolboy, 7, died from allergic reaction to pasta dish on Italian holiday

·3-min read
Cameron Wahid suffered a severe anaphylactic shock from eating pasta made with milk. (SWNS)
Cameron Wahid suffered a severe anaphylactic shock from eating pasta made with milk. (SWNS)

The family of a British schoolboy who died after suffering an allergic reaction from eating spaghetti while on holiday have described his death as the “worst day of their lives”.

Cameron Wahid, seven, suffered a severe anaphylactic shock from eating a pasta sauce made with milk at a restaurant in Ravello on the Amalfi Coast, Italy, where he spent half-term with his family.

Restaurant staff were warned about his severe allergies, saying he could not have any cheese or dairy products, but the waitress did not understand their request and assured them it was safe.

Cameron collapsed in front of his mother Cassandra, 43, father Rizwan, 43, and little brother Aidan and went into shock on a tour bus before suffering a cardiac arrest in the main square.

His mum Mrs Wahid, who worked as a nurse at the time, managed to give her son an EpiPen, but it was too late, and he died in hospital three days later on October 30, 2015.

Scenic sea view  in Ravelo on Amalfi Coast in Campania in Italy
Cameron died after eating in a restaurant in Ravello on Amalfi Coast, Italy. (Getty)

After Cameron's death, his family fought a long legal battle against the La Margherita Villa Giuseppina restaurant.

Waitress Ester Di Lascio was found guilty of culpable manslaughter by an Italian court in Salerno in September 2019. 

She was given a two-year suspended jail sentence.

Di Lascio did not properly highlight the possible allergic reactions caused by ingredients in dishes on the restaurant’s menu, the court found.

The pasta Cameron ate was served with a tomato sauce that had been prepared with milk by chef Luigi Cioffi, who was later cleared of any wrongdoing.

The court awarded the family from East Grinstead in West Sussex £288,000 (€325,000) compensation.

Cameron always had a severe allergy to dairy, but his family said they were very careful about what he ate, and we assured by staff the food was safe.

They added his death was avoidable, and they are still struggling to come to terms with it.

Cameron's parents call for lessons to be learned and want to raise awareness of the seriousness of allergies.

Mr Wahid has started working as an ambassador with Allergy UK, the UK’s leading charity providing support to people with allergies.

He said this week: “To see him going into anaphylactic shock and suffering like that was undoubtedly the worst experience of our lives."

Mr Wahid added: “We know nothing will bring him back, but we want to help stop others from suffering the pain we continue to feel.

“People need to know how serious allergies can be, and we will continue to work in raising much-needed awareness.

“We are grateful that the case is now at an end, and want to thank everyone for all the support we have had.

“For us, everything has been about using the criminal trial process in Italy to ensure that justice was obtained for Cameron, which we have done, as well as to establish facts and ensure lessons are learned so that others don’t have to suffer like we have.”

Watch: How to tell whether you're sick or just have allergies

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting