Charging PMD batteries spark fire at Marsiling Lane flat; elderly man taken to hospital

·Editorial Team
The fire took place in an 11th floor unit of Block 214 Marsiling Lane. (PHOTOS: SCDF)
The fire took place in an 11th floor unit of Block 214 Marsiling Lane. (PHOTOS: SCDF)

SINGAPORE — An elderly man was taken to hospital after a fire involving personal mobility device (PMD) batteries broke out at a Marsiling flat early on Tuesday (1 October) morning.

In a Facebook post, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said its officers responded to the incident, which took place in an 11th floor unit at Block 214 Marsiling Lane, at around 4.25am. An elderly man who was in the unit was conveyed to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital for smoke inhalation.

Preliminary investigations into the fire suggest that it was “of electrical origin from one of three PMD batteries which were charging at the time of the fire”, the post said.

SCDF also posted an infographic on fire safety tips for PMD owners. It added that the Land Transport Authority also encourages all PMD owners to use UL2272 certified devices. Members of the public should also look out for UL2272 Certification Marks when purchasing such devices.

More information on the UL2272 certification can be found on the LTA’s website. Owners of non-UL2272 certified PMDs are also encouraged to dispose of their devices as soon as possible and can refer to this website for more information: go.gov.sg/pmddisposal

(GRAPHIC: SCDF)
(GRAPHIC: SCDF)

More Singapore stories:

Police looking for two missing 11-year-old schoolgirls last seen at Seletar Mall

President Halimah, PM Lee congratulate counterparts on 70th anniversary of People's Republic of China

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting