KUALA LUMPUR: Claims of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 wreckage parts riddled with ‘bullet holes’ are baseless.
Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai in rejecting the allegations, said the government had been cooperating with the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) concerning findings of the Boeing 777-200ER's wreckage parts since its disappearance on March 8, 2014.
Liow said the claim which stated the plane's wreckage parts were found full with bullet holes in a discovery made by using Google Earth and National Aeronautics and Space Administration's images.
"As of now, we have identified that the search location to in the Australian coast, and not Mauritian waters," Liow said when met on the sidelines of the ongoing Parliament sitting today.
Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai says the government had been cooperating with the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) concerning findings of the Boeing 777-200ER's wreckage parts since its disappearance on March 8, 2014. NSTP pic.
It was reported that Peter McMahon, an Australian engineer and amateur air crash investigator, had claimed he had found the plane near Round Island.
He alleged ATSB to have covered up the "evidence".
ATSB in response said the images used by McMahon were captured four years before MH370 went missing.
Liow said the images were also analysed by Civil Aviation Authority Malaysia (CAAM).
"CAAM has found the article (McMahon's claims) to be baseless, hence the people should not be taken for a ride on the matter.
"It is important to get the latest updates on our website and mobile application.
"Search and recovery efforts are still being carried out in the Southern Indian Ocean, covering an expansive area of 25,000 km per square, and conducted by Ocean Infinity." Reports by: Syed Umar Ariff; Rohaniza Idris; Idris Musa; Luqman Karim; Nur Lela Zulkipli and Siti Nur Mas Erah Amran. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd