Professional Fighters League lightweight Clay Collard (19-8) tells Kevin Iole what's in store after his huge upset over Anthony Pettis in his PFL debut.
Professional Fighters League lightweight Clay Collard (19-8) tells Kevin Iole what's in store after his huge upset over Anthony Pettis in his PFL debut.
The validity period of the Singapore passport will be extended to 10 years, up from the current five, from 1 October.
Vickers Venture Partners would be the highest-profile investor yet to have fallen victim to the alleged S$1 billion nickel trading fraud.
The US military has no plans to shoot down an out -of-control Chinese rocket now hurtling towards Earth, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said Thursday.
President Joe Biden warned Thursday that Congress needs to adopt his multi-trillion dollar spending plans to renew the US economy because China is "eating our lunch."
Rafael Nadal swept into the Madrid Open quarter-finals on Thursday with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Alexei Popyrin, while Ashleigh Barty booked her spot in the women's final by ending the run of wildcard Paula Badosa.
Singapore Press Holdings chief executive officer Ng Yat Chung took offence to a reporter's question about SPH's goal of "editorial integrity" at a news conference on 6 May to announce plans to spin off the conglomerate's ailing media business.
China criticised New Zealand Thursday over "groundless" allegations about the ill treatment of Uyghurs, underlining Wellington's struggle to find a middle ground between its largest trading partner and its traditional Western allies.
Jeff Bezos sold about US$2.5 billion of Amazon.com Inc. stock, his first big disposal this year.
The Philippines has accused China of blocking coastguard patrols near Scarborough Shoal in the South China Sea, just days after Beijing announced its seasonal fishing ban over the resource-rich waterway. In a statement on Tuesday night, Hermogenes Esperon, a national security adviser to President Rodrigo Duterte, said the China Coast Guard conducted “shadowing, blocking, dangerous manoeuvres and radio challenges” to two Philippine Coast Guard vessels in the waters near the shoal late last month. “We condemn in the strongest terms the ... manoeuvres, and radio challenges conducted by the Chinese Coast Guard against PCG vessels BRP Gabriela Silang and BRP Sindangan, during legitimate law enforcement patrols and maritime exercises while in the vicinity of Bajo de Masinloc on 24-25 April 2021,” Esperon said, referring to the shoal by its Philippine name.Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. The shoal is a group of tiny, low-lying rocky islets off the east coast of Luzon, the main island in the Philippines, and is claimed by both countries. It is known as Huangyan Island in China. The statement did not say how many Chinese vessels were involved or how the encounter developed, but it did add that Philippine Coast Guard vessels were on their way to the area “to enforce our fisheries laws and protect our fishermen” as part of the rotational patrols of Scarborough Shoal. The shoal is a traditional fishing ground in the region and was at the centre of a stand-off between China and the Philippines in 2012 that prompted Manila to file an arbitration case against Beijing over its claims. The Philippines’ Department of Foreign Affairs said earlier this week that diplomatic protests had been filed against the Chinese coastguard’s actions at Scarborough Shoal. The Philippines also said it dispersed Chinese “maritime militia” ships – fishing vessels in paramilitary service – in the waters near Sabina Shoal, an atoll in the Spratly Islands about 600km (370 miles) from Scarborough Shoal. Esperon said seven Chinese vessels “nested or in stationary liner formation” were seen near the Sabina Shoal on April 27 and left 20 minutes after several attempts by the Philippine Coast Guard to make them leave. In addition, Manila said more than 200 Chinese fishing boats were spotted in the waters near Whitsun Reef, also in the disputed Spratlys, in late March. Manila has filed several protests to Beijing over the massing of the Chinese fishing boats, though Beijing claimed at that time that the Chinese vessels were taking shelter from bad weather. In a tweet on Monday, Philippine Foreign Secretary Teddy Locsin demanded China “get the f***” out of Philippine waters, but he apologised publicly on Tuesday to his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi, saying he was sorry for hurting his feelings. The protests come as Beijing imposes its annual 3½-month summer fishing ban over the waters of the South China Sea north of the 12th parallel. The ban came into effect on Saturday and China has repeatedly said it is part of an effort to “preserve fishery resources” in the world’s richest fishing grounds. But critics say the ban is part of China’s efforts to assert its territorial claims in the waterway, claims that are contested by Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. South China Sea: Vietnam building up its maritime militia, magazine says In the statement, Esperon, a retired Philippine Army general and the former chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, said the Philippines opposed the bans and Philippine fishermen were “encouraged to go out and fish” in the waters. Fishing rights are often at the centre of the disputes in the South China Sea, now a military flashpoint between the rival claimants of the vast and resource-rich waterway. Vietnam, an outspoken claimant, rejected Beijing’s fishing ban, particularly in relation to the Gulf of Tonkin and the Paracel Islands. Vietnamese foreign ministry deputy spokesman Doan Khac Viet said on Thursday the ban was a “unilateral decision” that had violated Vietnam’s sovereignty and international law.More from South China Morning Post:‘We do not want war’: Philippines’ Duterte refuses to end South China Sea patrols, despite Beijing’s call for them to stopSouth China Sea heats up as Philippines drops the F-bomb over Chinese boats‘It will be bloody’: Philippines’ Duterte threatens to ‘stake a claim’ over South China Sea energy resources using military shipsSouth China Sea: Philippines protests against China’s confiscation of fishing equipmentThis article South China Sea: Philippines accuses China of ‘dangerous challenges’ near Scarborough Shoal first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
The mother of a Hong Kong fashion model has become the latest high-profile victim of a phone scam after being conned out of more than HK$20 million (US$2.6 million), the Post has learned. The case came to light when the 70-year-old victim – who lives in an upscale development in West Kowloon – reported the fraud to police on April 16. The force did not name the victim, but she is understood to be the mother of the model, actress and singer Rosemary Vandenbroucke. According to the force, the victim received a call in March from a man claiming to be a mainland Chinese law enforcement officer.Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. “The woman was accused of being involved in a money-laundering case over the phone, and was then ordered to provide her bank account details, including passwords, to assist the investigation,” a police source said. Beware of fraudsters posing as Hong Kong police on phone, force warns He said the suspect told the victim that the money was only being temporarily transferred out of her accounts for investigative purposes and would eventually be returned, but asked her not to mention the case to anyone. As instructed, the victim handed over the details of her seven bank accounts to the caller. She only realising the purported investigation was a scam when more than HK$20 million transferred out of four of her accounts had not been transferred back. Detectives from the Yau Tsim criminal investigation unit are handling the case. So far, no one has been arrested. Police have recently raised the alarm over a new wave of phone scams in which the perpetrators pretend to be law enforcement officers. Between April 21 and May 3, police in Wan Chai district received reports of such scams from 99 Hongkongers. Hong Kong retiree nearly loses HK$9 million in national security law phone scam The force said the con artists had used the names and unique identification numbers of a retired constable and an active-duty sergeant in an effort to cheat their targets, whom they accused of being involved in money laundering or other criminal cases in mainland China as part of their ruse. One of the 99 targets – a 27-year-old woman – was duped out of HK$95,000 after she was persuaded to input her bank account details into a website the scammers controlled. The other 98 managed to avoid falling victim to the scams. The force later clarified that the two officers the con artists impersonated were not linked to the scams. Last year, police handled 1,193 phone scams involving a total of HK$574 million in stolen funds. The first two months of this year saw 122 such cases, a 31 per cent increase year on year. The biggest victim so far was a 90-year-old woman living in a mansion on The Peak, who was conned out of about HK$250 million between August 2020 and January this year.This article Hong Kong woman conned out of HK$20 million by phone scammers impersonating police first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
SPH has just announced the restructuring of its media business and is now transitioning into an asset manager. Here are five things that investors should know. The post SPH is Transforming into an Asset Manager: 5 Things You Should Know appeared first on The Smart Investor.
The US military has deployed more heavy bombers and fighter jets to protect withdrawing American and coalition troops from Afghanistan, which have so far sustained no direct attacks, the Pentagon said Thursday.
The Ministry of Health (MOH) on Thursday (6 May) confirmed 18 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore, taking the country's total case count to 61,286.
268,000 people from Kuala Lumpur and Selangor will receive their AstraZeneca jabs from today. #CucukMyAZ This article, Thousands turn up for first dose of AstraZeneca vaccine in Malaysia, originally appeared on Coconuts, Asia's leading alternative media company.
Social media has been his weapon of choice for battling Republican dissidents, but Donald Trump is seeking to tighten his iron grip on the party even after a ruling Wednesday extending his ban on Facebook.
Former Hong Kong chief justice Geoffrey Ma Tao-li has defended the role of foreign judges in the city, arguing they should continue to sit on the bench and help enforce the mini-constitution which he described as the basis of judicial independence. In his first major public engagement since stepping down in January this year, Ma’s comment appeared to target Western critics who had urged foreign judges in Hong Kong to quit as a matter of protest in the wake of the enactment of the Beijing-imposed national security law. Ma, Hong Kong’s top judge from September 2010 to January this year, said while critics focused on provisions of the security law that allowed Beijing to exercise jurisdiction over complex cases, they should also take into account its references to human rights and the Basic Law, the city’s mini-constitution.Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team. “[The Basic Law] prescribes for an independent judiciary … sets out freedoms and human rights, [and] links it internationally to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights,” he said. “All these matters are stated in the Basic Law, reflected in the judicial oath, and when a judge comes [and] is in Hong Kong, that person … is duty-bound indeed, and has taken an oath to enforce the Basic Law.” Ma also clarified that he did not describe a condition in the legislation as a “strange provision” in remarks made in March. Instead, he argued, it was others who found it strange that the security law allowed the city’s leader, after consulting the chief justice, to designate judges to handle national security cases. Ma was speaking in a webinar on the future of law and business in Hong Kong. The discussion was organised by British-based group The Legal 500, and local law firm Haldanes. Other speakers at the webinar were: former British Lord Chancellor Charles Falconer, criminal lawyer Jonathan Midgley; veteran lawyer Jonathan Caplan QC; and Professor Lin Feng, associate law dean at the City University of Hong Kong. In March, British Supreme Court president Robert Reed said he would weigh resigning as a non-permanent judge on the Court of Final Appeal should he conclude that judicial independence had been compromised. Falconer, who has been a vocal critic of Beijing’s policies on Hong Kong, had suggested that Reed should quit. Asked to elaborate on his rationale, Falconer on Wednesday said: “I do not think that the pinnacle of the UK legal system should [give] due credibility to a system where there is a massive hole in the rule of law in Hong Kong.” Falconer argued that the national security law “indicates that a central basis of the rule of law in Hong Kong is gone”. He said it was most exemplified by Article 55 of the security law, which allows the city’s government to ask Beijing to exercise jurisdiction over a national security case if it is complex, when a serious situation occurs and the city’s government is unable to effectively enforce the law, or when a major and imminent threat to national security has occurred. Falconer described the article as giving executive authorities an alternative route to the city’s legal system. “This healthily functioning system of high-quality judges were able to resolve, for example, non-political criminal cases … but running alongside it, is the option for the Chinese government to pick up on those they don’t like and deal with them outside the established legal system, and that is why the rule of law is now a charade,” he said. Staying true to rule of law, former chief justice relied on expertise with a dash of common sense Ma questioned whether Article 55 was a sound basis for Falconer to suggest that the rule of law was severely compromised in Hong Kong, and that Britain’s top judges should resign from Hong Kong courts. “Lord Falconer takes [Article 55] to mean: if you don’t like the result, we’ll have another go. Well, [the article] doesn’t say that, and to say that it does, is actually speculation.” Lin said at the webinar that Article 55 would only be invoked if Hong Kong faced an emergency situation endangering national security. Caplan also said he suspected that Article 55 would recede and become a redundant provision. He argued that most states “actually depart from the rule of law and natural processes” in handling national security cases. Midgley, senior partner with Haldanes, also said Hong Kong’s legal system remained sound. “It’s a great shame that there is a suggestion from overseas that this system is in some way broken … It simply isn’t. It is not a broken system, and the idea that people, particularly from England, are saying that Hong Kong is broken, I think, has turned into a political sport at the expense of those living here,” he said. Former chief justice Geoffrey Ma appointed honorary law professor at Chinese University In March, Ma attended a webinar where panel members discussed whether it should be entirely up to the judiciary to assign judges to cases, without the involvement of the executive branch. At the session, Ma noted the national security law had empowered the city’s leader to designate judges to hear cases under the legislation. “This is an important question as far as Hong Kong is concerned, where you have the strange provision of the designation of judges,” he said. Ma’s remark was interpreted by pundits as indicating he found the provision odd, but he claimed on Wednesday he was misquoted. “What I was doing in that particular talk … was saying that some people have regarded that provision in the national security law as being odd or strange,” he said. “I never comment on legislation, say this is good, great, bad or strange, I never do that and never will.”More from South China Morning Post:Judicial reforms should not be based on unhappiness over court rulings, Hong Kong’s retiring top judge warns in speech reflecting on decade-long tenureHong Kong’s departing chief justice offers one last defence of judicial independence at farewell sittingThis article National security law: ex-chief justice Geoffrey Ma defends role of foreign judges in Hong Kong, argues they should help enforce mini-constitution first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.
The Pentagon said Wednesday it is following the trajectory of a Chinese rocket expected to make an uncontrolled entry into the atmosphere this weekend, with the risk of crashing down in an inhabited area.
Check out our list of eight affordable Ramadan snacks perfect for the coming Hari Raya festivities. Hari Raya Puasa is barely a week away, which means it’s time to indulge in your favourite Ramadan snacks and traditional cookies! We’ve rounded up eight popular halal […] The post 8 Affordable (and Amazing) Ramadan Snacks by Halal Bakers in Singapore appeared first on SingSaver Blog - We Compare, You Save.
Imagine never having to call to waive your credit card annual fee… ever. That’s the dream, isn’t it? Here are four ways to enjoy no annual fees for life. Most credit cards in Singapore come with no annual fee for only the first year or […] The post 4 Types Of Credit Cards With Lifetime Annual Fee Waivers appeared first on SingSaver Blog - We Compare, You Save.
Standing on the proposed new home in Budapest of a top Chinese university, the local district mayor Krisztina Baranyi is squaring up for a stand-off with powerful Prime Minister Viktor Orban's government.