Advertisement

Construction of Ukraine's sprawling 2,000-km defensive network proceeding apace, Zelenskyy says

Fortifications in the Zaporizhzhya area
Fortifications in the Zaporizhzhya area

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy held a meeting of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief's Staff, he announced on Telegram on March 11.

Read also: Ukraine to spend $450 million on battlefield fortifications

The Staff heard reports from commanders, including the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Oleksandr Syrskyi and the Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Anatoliy Barhylevych, on the situation on the battlefield, in particular on the Kupyansk, Lyman, Bakhmut, Avdiivka, Maryinka, and Southern fronts, as well as the operations of the Marines.

Defense Minister Rustem Umerov and the Minister of Strategic Industries, Alexander Kamyshin, spoke about the supply of the frontline units, "the actual and future supply of munitions, missiles and other weapons," and Ukrainian production.

Read also: Fortifications near Avdiivka form sprawling defensive network, not one wall, says Ukraine military

Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal reported on the pace of construction of new fortifications at the Staff meeting.

"The defense of three 2,000-kilometer-long lanes is a major task, but the pace is good now. I look forward to a timely completion," Zelenskyy said.

Ivan Fedorov, head of the Zaporizhzhya Oblast Military Administration, announced earlier that the Cabinet of Ministers, on behalf of the President, had allocated a record-breaking 1.3 billion hryvnias ($33.9 million) for the construction of fortifications on the Zaporizhzhya front.

Denys Shmyhal said on Feb. 13 that the Cabinet of Ministers had already allocated 20 billion hryvnias ($520.8 million) for fortifications in 2024.

We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!

Read the original article on The New Voice of Ukraine