Cops: Activist Peter Chong handed over to family

By Ida Lim
Activist Peter Chong (pictured right) has been reunited with his family, according to the police. — Picture courtesy of Twitter/ KBAB51

KUALA LUMPUR, April 16 — The police said today they handed activist Peter Chong over to his family this afternoon after interviewing him, following his mysterious disappearance for almost two weeks.

Dang Wangi district police chief ACP Mohd Sukri Kaman told Malay Mail Online that the police recorded a statement from Chong directly at an airport and passed him to his family there.

“We handed over to the family at 2.15pm.

“We didn’t bring him to Dang Wangi station. We just recorded statement at the airport,” he told Malay Mail Online when contacted today.

Earlier today, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar posted on Twitter that Chong has returned from Pattaya, Thailand, to Malaysia this afternoon.

National news agency Bernama reported Kuala Lumpur police’s crime investigation department chief SAC Rusdi Mohd Isa as confirming that Chong reached Kuala Lumpur International Airport at around 12pm today on a Malindo Air flight.

“Shortly after reaching, we took his statement to complete investigation papers. Peter was also reported to be healthy,” the police officer was quoted saying.

Chong’s family had last seen him at their home 11 days ago on April 5 and subsequently lodged a police report on his disappearance.

Khalid said Wednesday that Chong was not abducted but was spotted crossing the border into Thailand on April 7 at 6.30am by bus.

At the time of writing, Chong’s son Darryl has yet to respond to Malay Mail Online’s enquiries about his condition and to confirm that he has been handed over to the family.

When contacted, Subang MP Sivarasa Rasiah told Malay Mail Online today that he had not met or spoken to Chong since December 2015 when the latter ceased to be his personal assistant. He also said he had last spoken to Chong’s family last weekend.

Chong’s disappearance had sparked concern after four others — a pastor, another pastor and his wife, and an activist — were reported missing with disappearance dates ranging from last November to this February.