Coronavirus: 3 new cases in Singapore, total at 43

People seen wearing face masks along Orchard Road on 9 February 2020. (PHOTO: Dhany Osman / Yahoo News Singapore)

SINGAPORE — The Ministry of Health on Sunday (9 February) confirmed three new cases of the novel coronavirus infection, all of which are locally transmitted and bringing the total number of cases to 43.

The three men are two Singaporeans aged 71 and 54, and a 39-year-old Bangladeshi. All have no recent travel history to China.

The health ministry also said that four cases have been discharged from hospital on Sunday, bringing the total number of those who have fully recovered and discharged to six. The discharged cases are number 10, 13, 22 and 26.

“Of the remaining 37 still in hospital, most are stable or improving. Six are in critical condition in the intensive care unit,” it added.

Meanwhile, 516 of the suspect cases have tested negative for the virus as of noon on Sunday. Results are pending for the remaining 98 cases.

The ministry said contact tracing of the new cases is underway. As of noon on Sunday, it has identified 989 close contacts.

“Of the 892 who are still in Singapore, 845 have been contacted and are being quarantined or isolated. Efforts are ongoing to contact the remaining 47 close contacts,” the ministry said in a press release.

And of the 22 locally transmitted cases, the ministry said links have been uncovered between 15 of the cases with the three known clusters.

The clusters are linked to The Life Church and Missions Singapore along Paya Lebar Road; Yong Thai Hang, a health products shop along Cavan Road, and a private business meeting held at Grand Hyatt Singapore from 20 to 22 January.

Contact tracing is underway for the other seven locally transmitted cases, including the three new ones, to establish if they have any links to previous cases or persons with travel history to mainland China.

Case 41

The 71-year-old Singaporean first had symptoms on 1 February and went to see a general practitioner (GP) the same day, and again four days later.

He then went to Hougang Polyclinic the next day, on 6 February, and Tan Tock Seng’s emergency department on 7 February. The man is now warded at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID).

He tested positive for the new coronavirus on Saturday.

Before his hospital admission, the man visited Paya Lebar Methodist Church along Boundary Road and a gathering at Braddell Heights Residents’ Committee.

He also picked up his grandchild outside Pat’s Schoolhouse Kovan, located on Upper Serangoon Road. The man stays along the same road.

Case 42

The 39-year-old Bangladeshi is a Singapore Work Pass holder.

He first had symptoms on 1 February and went to a GP two days later, before going to Changi General Hospital (CGH) on 5 February.

He went for a follow-up appointment at Bedok Polyclinic on 7 February and was thereafter admitted to the intensive care unit at CGH.

Test results confirmed he had the new coronavirus infection on Saturday afternoon and he was then transferred to the NCID, where he is currently warded.

Before he was admitted to hospital, the man went to Mustafa Centre along Syed Alwi Road and stayed at The Leo dormitory along Kaki Bukit Road.

Case 43

The 54-year-old Singaporean has not travelled to China recently but was in Malaysia on 26 January.

He first had symptoms on 30 January and visited two GP clinics on three days - 30 January, 5 February and 6 February.

The man went to Sengkang General Hospital (SKH) on 6 February and was warded in an isolation room.

He tested positive for the infection on Saturday night.

The man said he left home only to visit the GPs and went to work at Resorts World Sentosa on one day. He lives along Fernvale Close.

Death toll surpasses SARS epidemic

The coronavirus – which has been declared a global emergency by the WHO – has spread to 27 territories beyond mainland China, sickening over 34,000 people worldwide.

China's death toll from the epidemic rose to over 800 on Sunday, surpassing the total fatalities globally from the SARS outbreak from 2002 to 2003. On Saturday, the US embassy confirmed that a US citizen died that day in the city of Wuhan, where the virus originated.

Two territories, Hong Kong and the Philippines, have each reported the death of a patient from the virus.

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at

Related stories:

Coronavirus: MOM revokes work passes of 4 holders for breaching 14-day leave of absence rule