India recorded 14,313 new cases of Covid-19 and 181 deaths in the last 24 hours, said the health ministry on Tuesday. This is the lowest tally in the last 224 days.
The development is further encouraging because it comes at a time when the entire country is celebrating Navaratri.
Here are major highlights:
– Total cases increased to 33.99 million and fatalities to 450,963. Active cases—patients under treatment—are at 214, 900: the lowest in 212 days.
– Punjab and Haryana Monday reported no coronavirus deaths while together they added 26 more cases, according to their medical bulletins.
– While Punjab added 19 cases, taking its infection tally to 6,01,894, Haryana reported seven cases, pushing its numbers to 7,71,000.
– Maharashtra’s Covid-19 count hit a 17-month low with only 1,736 cases registered on Monday. On May 16, 2020, Maharashtra had registered 1,606 cases.
– In Mumbai too, the weekend effect resulted in the daily caseload dropping below 500. On Monday, 401 cases and four deaths were reported in the city.
– BMC officials said, there is no major jump in hospitalisations.
– Meanwhile, the first vaccine approved for use among children in the age group of 12-17 in India namely ZyCoV-D, will also be made available to private sector hospitals across the country as per reports.
– Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya hailed India's vaccine drive after the country crossed the 95 crore-landmark on Sunday.
– "World's largest successful vaccination drive in full swing! India completes administration of 95 crore #COVID19 vaccine doses. Marching rapidly towards administering 100 crore vaccine doses. Get vaccinated quickly and encourage your friends & family to do the same!” he said in a tweet.