Cradle Fund CEO's death: Fire and Rescue Dept insists probe's done according to SOP

NUR IZZATI MOHAMAD

BATU KAWAN: The Fire and Rescue Department today defended its investigation into the fire incident at Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan's home, saying that everything was done in accordance with its standard operating procedure.

Its director-general Mohammad Hamdan Wahid said since the matter has now become a police case, the department was not at liberty to issue any statement, whether to the victim’s family or public.

He said the victim's family should remain calm and allow the police to investigate Nazrin's death in the fire rather than making accusations against the department.

“Our investigation follow a set of standard operating procedure (SOP), and not as claimed by the victim’s wife, who appeared to pinning the blame on the department.

“Also it has been done thoroughly. We even used the services of the K9 unit, trained dogs to sniff out evidence.

“So, I would like to say that allegations made by the victim’s wife were untrue. Moreover, it has now been considered a high profile case,” he said.

Mohammad Hamdan's comment came after Nazrin's widow, Samirah Muzaffar, criticised the authorities investigating the death of her husband, saying that she has been kept in the dark about the matter.

She had also lodged police reports pertaining to the investigations and some missing items since the June fire incident.

Meanwhile, Mohammad Hamdan further explained that the department could not issue any statement on the ongoing investigation then, following advice from its legal experts.

“It is (part of) our SOP. If the investigation finds something out of the ordinary or possible criminal elements, we will have to forward it to the police (to investigate further)."

It was reported that police have reclassified the Nazrin's case as murder following a forensic report by the Fire and Rescue Department, which cited suspected foul play.

Nazrin was found dead after his room, at his home in Mutiara Damansara, caught fire on June 14.

Initial reports said the fire may have been caused by his mobile phone, which had been charging by his bedside, exploded. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd