Late Cradle Fund CEO's stepsons freed from remand

Siraj Mohd Zaini

SHAH ALAM: The High Court here has allowed a review application to revoke the seven-day remand order against the two stepsons of the late Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan.

Judge Datuk Ab Karim Ab Rahman ordered for the two teens, aged 14 and 16, to be freed from remand as of Wednesday evening after they were detained on Sunday.

He issued the order after receiving a review application from lawyers Hisyam Teh Poh Teik and LS Leonard, who represented the boys.

In the proceeding, Ab Karim said police had failed to provide a solid reason for the seven-day remand in order to link their arrest to the murder investigation on their stepfather on June 14.

“Among the reasons given for the remand was that the arrest was necessary to recover case evidence. However, I was informed that when the teens were arrested, archery equipment was recovered.

“Why would the police need a seven-day remand seeing that case evidence such as the arrows have been found,” he said during the proceeding.

Earlier, Deputy Public Prosecutor Ahmad Nazneen Zulkifli, who had objected to the review application, stated several reasons for the necessity of the remand, but was rejected by the judge.

Last Sunday, the two teens were brought to the Petaling Jaya magistrate’s court. Magistrate Nor Ariffin Hisham had ordered for them to be remanded until Sept 15.

The two brother were arrested at their grandfather’s home in Taman Tun Dr Ismail around 4pm on Saturday. On Sept 4, police had arrested their parents, Samirah Muzaffar, 43, and her ex-husband Nizam Mydin, 43, before both were remanded a week to assist the murder investigation.

Samirah is Nazrin’s widow.

Nizam, however, was freed after the remand period ended on Sept 7, while Samirah’s remand ends on Thursday.

Nazrin was initially reported as having died in a fire at his home on June 14. Initial reports had claimed that his mobile phone, which was charging next to him as he was sleeping in his bedroom, had exploded.

On Aug 3, Selangor police Criminal Investigation Department chief, Senior Assistant Commissioner Fadzil Ahmat had said that Nazrin’s death had been reclassified as murder.

This came about after the Fire and Rescue Department’s forensic report said traces of petrol were found at the crime scene. An autopsy report also showed that Nazrin had wounds at the back of his head. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd