What debate? Nazri and Dr M meet, over laksa

Nuradzimmah Daim


KUALA KANGSAR: Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz and Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) chairman Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad went ahead with their scheduled meeting today, but over laksa and cendol.

They met for about half an hour at Lembah Kuala Kangsar and were seen chatting amicably before going for a short stroll to take in the views of Sungai Perak.

When approached later, Nazri said he was having a chat over a meal with Dr Mahathir.

“There was nothing we discussed about in particular, as we were just eating. I have not seen him for four years,” he said.

Nazri had earlier gone to Maktab Rendah Sains Mara Sultan Azlan Shah, the venue where he had previously invited Dr Mahathir for their much anticipated debate.

“The debate (which was scheduled at the school today) is postponed, so I am here only to meet him (Dr Mahathir). As the host, Padang Rengas MP, it is only right that I welcome him. I’m not going to fight with him.

“He (Dr Mahathir) was the one who asked me to contest in Padang Rengas 22 years ago and ensured our win. I am still wearing the same shirt (Barisan Nasional) but he has changed his. Some people had called me a ‘pondan’, so this ‘pondan’ is willing to meet Dr Mahathir even though our debate is postponed,” he told the press gathered in front of the school gate.

Nazri said he had waited for two hours since 1.30pm for Dr Mahathir’s arrival.

He also questioned the police’s decision to forbid the debate.

“I was just informing the authorities of our intended debate as it is not an assembly, thus it does not require a permit. Dr Mahathir on the other hand, was allowed to have ceramah tonight (in Kota Lama Kiri),” he said.

The organiser, Karangkraf media group, had then made the decision to hold the debate at its headquarters in Shah Alam on April 7.