Decision on couple's RM10m negligence suit against 2 hospitals next month


KUALA TERENGGANU: A married couple will know next month the High Court's decision on their RM10 million negligence suit against two public hospitals here over the death of their four-year-old daughter in 2013.

Judge Datuk Zainal Azman Abdul Aziz fixed May 23 and 24 to decide on the suit with regards to the death of Ulya Insyirah Muhamad Sardi.

Zainal heard submissions by counsel for 11 defendants comprising eight medical officers, two hospital directors and the Malaysian government who accepted liability.

Muhamad Sardi Saad, 41, and his wife Fadilah Abd Wahab, 47, had originally filed a writ of summons at the Kota Baru High Court through Messrs Syukran Noordin Advocates & Solicitors, before the case was transferred to Kuala Terengganu.

In their summons, the teachers named Dr Shairazi Azizi Mohd Salleh, Dr Mohd Ruhaifi Yusuf, Dr Norzaherawati Aryani Md Tahir, Dr Hasmani Hamat, Dr Muhammad Solehuddin Ishak and Besut Hospital director as the first to sixth defendants.

The plaintiffs named Dr Noor Ain Noor Afendi, Dr Sharifah Huda Engku Alwi, Datuk Dr Jimmy Lee Kok Foo, Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital in Kuala Terengganu director and the Malaysian government as the seventh to 11th defendants.

It was reported that at 4am on Dec 5, 2013, Ulya Insyirah, the youngest of the couple’s three children, awoke from sleep and vomited repeatedly at home.

She was brought to Besut Hospital at 9.30am and admitted there for treatment. However, at around 5pm, Fadilah had noticed that her daughter’s hands and body swelled following intravenous liquid infusion and queried the doctors who could not provide a satisfactory answer.

Six hours later, when Ulya Insyirah’s condition worsened, Fadilah requested for an X-Ray which showed excessive water in the deceased’s lungs.

By this time, Ulya Insyirah was in a very serious condition and had lost consciousness.

Several doctors infused Ulya Insyirah with more medication but her condition deteriorated owing to inadequate equipment.

The victim was then transferred to the Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital at 6.50am the next day.

The girl, however, died at 8.05am that day.

According to her medical report, the cause of death was serious acute internal swelling owing to excessive water intake or dosage of medicines during treatment.

The couple alleged they were offered RM14,000 as compensation, provided they did not bring the case to court. However, the couple declined the offer.

The couple, who have a son aged 14 and daughter aged 10, claimed they have been traumatised following the episode and have been seeking psychiatric treatment at the Universiti Sains Malaysia Hospital in Kubang Kerian, Kelantan.