Deliveroo unveils plans for its riders to get e-scooter trade-in grants

Deliveroo delivery rider. (FILE PHOTO: Yahoo News Singapore)

SINGAPORE — Following the offers of e-scooter trade-in grants and schemes by Foodpanda and Grab, Deliveroo has also announced on Friday (15 November) plans for its delivery riders to receive the trade-in grants.

The move is part of the broader $7 million grant that was announced by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) last week to help food delivery riders using e-scooters transition to other devices after they were banned from footpaths earlier this month.

Deliveroo will provide the following grants to help those riders who have used a personal mobility device (PMD) to complete at least one order between 9 October and 7 November:

  • Up to $600 or $1,000 for the purchase of a new bicycle or e-bike respectively. LTA will reimburse Deliveroo with up to $300 and $500 respectively to match each reimbursement,

  • Riders who completed at least 20 orders between 9 October and 7 November will receive 100 per cent of the grant immediately,

  • Riders who completed fewer than 20 orders between 9 October and 7 November will receive 80 per cent of the grant immediately, with the remaining 20 per cent to be sent once they complete a further 20 deliveries within the first month after their switch to the new vehicle.

How to participate in the scheme

To participate in this scheme, Deliveroo riders need to complete an application form and have it approved by LTA, who will check if any applications have already been made with another delivery company.

Once approved, the riders will need to bring their e-scooter to be trade in for disposal. Upon purchasing their new bicycles, power-assisted bicycles (PABs) or personal mobility aids, the riders should submit the original proof of purchase to receive their reimbursement, which will be added to their next invoices.

A Deliveroo spokesperson said that the company is in discussions with bike-sharing companies for potential partnerships.

“To date, approximately 50 per cent of our PMD and PAB riders – constituting 5 per cent of our total fleet – have already confirmed that they have switched to a new vehicle, for example a bicycle, motorcycle or scooter, or walking,” the spokesperson added in a media statement on Friday.

“We will be holding engagement sessions with our PMD riders, while doing more to support them and their needs moving forward.”

Wave of reactions following ban

The e-scooter ban triggered a wave of reactions in Singapore including from netizens, food delivery riders, food delivery companies, personal mobility device retailers and sharing operators.

Food delivery riders who use e-scooters have expressed concerns about the threat to their livelihood due to the ban.

A number of them have met their Members of Parliament to discuss the issue. During recent heated Meet-the-People sessions, several called on the authorities to allow them to use footpaths until the end of this year.

To allow e-scooter users to adjust to the ban, an “advisory period” would be implemented until the end of the year. As of 9am on Sunday, LTA has issued more than 760 warnings to errant riders.

From 1 January, there will be strict enforcement of the ban, with those caught flouting it liable to a fine of up to $2,000 and/or up to three month’s jail.

Related stories:

Foodpanda offering e-bikes to its e-scooter riders who qualify under new scheme

Grab’s food delivery riders can apply for e-scooter trade-in grant from Friday

Heated dialogue between food delivery riders and Lam Pin Min over e-scooter ban on footpaths

E-scooters on footpath ban: GrabFood expects possible delays in deliveries, Deliveroo says ‘minimal impact’

PMD retailers, sharing operators frustrated with e-scooters on footpath ban