Manila, Philippines --- After six months of patiently waiting, more than 400,000 public school teachers will be receiving their much-awaited bonus by next week, the Department of Education (DepEd) announced yesterday.
DepEd Assistant Secretary for Planning Jesus Mateo said that the department has finally completed and submitted the requirements set by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) for the release of the Performance Based Bonus (PBB) for 2012.
"We have complied with the requirements and the DepEd has already met the criteria and conditions needed for the release of the bonus," Mateo explained.
"It would take at least a week - after the submission of requirements to DBM - for the bonus to be released," Mateo added as he expressed hope that the PBB would be given top all DepEd teaching personnel before August.
Under Executive Order (EO) No. 80, series of 2012, signed by President Benigno S. Aquino III, the top-up bonus for the Fiscal Year 2012 shall be given to agencies that have complied with the criteria and conditions, including an achievement of at least 90 percent of Fiscal Year 2012 targets of each Major Final Output (MFO), Support to Operations (STO), and General Administrative Support Services (GASS); 90 percent achievement of each priority program/project targets agreed with the President under the five Key Result Areas (KRAs) of Executive Order No. 43; and satisfied 100 percent of good governance conditions.
Mateo said all DepEd divisions have already submitted requirements. However, he admitted that only "74 percent" or "145 out of the 195 divisions" have been verified and validated before it was forwarded to the DBM.
The rest were returned to their respective divisions due to incomplete information, he said.
DepEd data showed that out of the 528,954 public school teachers nationwide, majority, roughly 70 percent or some 368, 360 are teaching in elementary grade with the remaining 30 percent or 160, 594 are secondary teachers and deployed in more than 44, 000 schools across the country.
About 410,000 teachers, representing 77.51 percent of the total teachers nationwide will be the first batch of recipients but depending on the performance of their school. "We prioritized our teaching personnel so they are in the first batch of those who will be receiving the PBB," Mateo said.
Earlier, public school teachers expressed dismay over the delayed release of the PBB saying "it's very unfair that teachers and lowly employees suffer the consequences of these delays which they have nothing to do with."
----- end here---
Both groups also criticized the PBB saying it was "deceptive," "unfair" and "defective."
The Teachers' Dignity Coalition (TDC) and the Alliance of Concerned Teachers (ACT) claimed that the teaching and non-teaching personnel of the DepEd should not suffer due to the delay of their bonus which they claim is "not their fault."
However, Mateo said that the delay should be "understandable" given that the "DepEd comprises 40 % of the entire bureaucracy." "We have almost 530,000 teaching personnel and almost 50,000 non-teaching personnel in some 200 divisions so it would really take time before the data is collected, verified and validated," he explained.
For DepEd, Mateo said that "there will be no individual ranking at the school level." Thus, the performance category of the school shall determine the level of PBB that each employee will receive.
DepEd employees who are recipients of awards such as the Literacy Awards and national awards from the Civil Service Commission and Metrobank Foundation in FY 2012, are guaranteed beneficiaries of the P 35,000.00 bonus- the highest incentive level of PBB. On the contrary, employees who received a "Below Satisfactory" rating or who are guilty of administrative and/or criminal charges, shall automatically be disqualified from receiving the PBB.
Mateo reiterated that the PBB will act as an incentive in addition to the across-the-board bonus of the PEI and will not replace any formerly-given incentive. It aims to promote excellence and accountability among government employees thus, providing their best public service," he ended.