Fierce fighting raged between Azerbaijani and Armenian forces on Monday, sparking bellicose rhetoric from regional power Turkey despite international pleas for a halt in fighting between the long-time enemies.
Women charged police lines and threw Molotov cocktails at officers in Mexico City on Monday during protests demanding the legalization of abortion in the majority Roman Catholic country. The protesters, clad in the green bandanas that have become the symbol of the pro-choice movement in Latin America, gathered in Mexico's capital to mark International Safe Abortion Day, which is celebrated each year on Sept. 28. At least one officer was briefly engulfed in flames after being hit by a Molotov cocktail, before colleagues doused the fire with an extinguisher, television images showed.
President Donald Trump reeled Monday on the eve of his first televised debate against challenger Joe Biden after a bolt-from-the-blue report showed he has been avoiding paying almost any federal income tax for years.
Former detective Brett Hankison was indicted by a grand jury last Wednesday and charged with endangering Taylor's neighbors because some of the 10 bullets he fired during the March 13 raid on her home entered an adjacent apartment. The other two officers who shot Taylor were not charged at all after Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron, a Black Republican, concluded their use of force was justified. The lack of charges against any of the three men, all of them white, for Taylor's death triggered a new wave of the protests against police brutality and racism.
H. Kenneth Schroeder Jr., a magistrate judge in Buffalo, New York, said that Pascale Cecile Veronique Ferrier, 53, a resident of Canada's Quebec province, was a flight risk and had showed an inclination to harm Trump and others if released. Schroeder said he had considered the government's evidence that Ferrier had nearly 300 rounds of ammunition on her when she was arrested trying to enter the United States earlier this month, as well traces of ricin found at her home in Quebec.
The British government has warned a number of cultural institutions that their public funding could be called into question should they remove statues or other objects that have become the focus of protests or complaints. The issue of how Britain should deal with the legacies of its past, especially its role in slavery and colonialism, has been the subject of passionate debate since the statue of a slave trader was toppled by protesters in Bristol in June. Since then, officials have removed the statue of another slave trader in London, a concert hall in Bristol has renamed itself, and venerable institutions like Oxford University have grappled publicly with what to do about contested heritage.
“I know I'm just a stepping stone for all of you,” District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers said during a virtual hearing from Oakland, California. Epic Games sued Apple in August, alleging the iPhone maker's 30% commission on purchases made through Apple's App Store was anticompetitive.
The percentage of COVID-19 tests taken in New York state that have come back positive has inched up to 1.5%, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Monday, a worrisome trend for the former epicenter of the U.S. coronavirus epidemic. New York's positivity rate had hovered around 1% for weeks, a hard-won metric after the state tallied thousands of cases per day during the peak of its outbreak in the spring. The rate's uptick now comes as 27 other states recorded increases in the number of cases for two straight weeks.
French President Emmanuel Macron will on Tuesday meet with Belarus opposition leader Svetlana Tikhanovskaya during his visit to Lithuania in what is seen as a major show of support for the activist.
Spain's government on Monday warned the Madrid authorities of drastic measures if the region failed to move decisively to slow the uncontrolled spread of coronavirus infections.
The coronavirus crisis compounded that hold up this year as demand for air travel plunged, with Boeing saying in July it was delaying the 777X's entry to service by a year to 2022. GE said on Monday it has received orders and commitments for more than 600 GE9X engines, and has delivered eight GE9X test engines and two test spares for Boeing's four 777X test aircraft.
On the quayside of Marseille's Old Port in France, several restaurants on Monday defied a government order to shutdown for two weeks to try to slow the spread of the coronavirus, saying they had little to lose. The shutdown, which came into effect at midnight on Sunday, angered local politicians, restaurant owners and employees who say it is disproportionate to the risk and will devastate the local economy. "It's not in bars and restaurants that COVID has come surging back," said one restaurant owner who opened for lunch service.
Some 120 million rapid diagnostic tests for coronavirus will be made available to low- and middle-income countries at a maximum of $5 per unit, the World Health Organization said on Monday. WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the manufacturers Abbott and SD Biosensor had agreed with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to "make 120 million of these new, highly portable and easy-to-use rapid COVID-19 diagnostic tests available over a period of six months". "This will enable the expansion of testing, particularly in hard-to-reach areas that do not have laboratory facilities or enough trained health workers to carry out tests," Tedros said.
More than one million people have died from coronavirus, according to an AFP toll, marking a grim milestone in the spread of the disease that has ravaged the world economy, inflamed diplomatic tensions and upended lives from Indian slums to New York City.
Japanese telecoms group Nippon Telegraph and Telephone <9432.T> will take full control of its wireless carrier business NTT Docomo Inc <9437.T> for about 4 trillion yen ($37.89 billion), the Nikkei business daily reported on Tuesday. The move comes as Japan's new prime minister Yoshihide Suga has criticised Japan’s top three mobile phone carriers including NTT Docomo, saying he wants more competition and lower rates. NTT will seek to buy the remaining 34% of NTT Docomo and delist the business from the Tokyo stock exchange, the Nikkei said.
The Afghan official overseeing Kabul's efforts to forge a deal with the Taliban arrived Monday for a three-day visit to Pakistan, the influential neighbour considered vital to the peace process.
A Hong Kong ambulanceman has been arrested and suspended from duty for his alleged role in a serious attack on a mainland Chinese tourist at an anti-government protest site in Mong Kok last year.The 28-year-old visitor was beaten by a dozen of people for five minutes with bricks, stones, umbrellas, batons, and hammers at about 9.30pm on November 11 at the junction of Argyle Street and Nathan Road, which hardcore protesters had barricaded, police said.Some protesters also took away the victim’s mobile phone, said police, who also arrested a teenager over the incident. The mainlander was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Yau Ma Tei with injuries to his head and other parts of his body.Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.The alleged attack was launched on one of the most eventful days of last year’s social unrest, when protesters organised a citywide strike, with some setting up roadblocks and disrupting railway services. They also called on business owners, employees and students to skip work and boycott classes.The arrested ambulance worker, 28, based at a fire station on Hong Kong Island, and a 19-year-old Form Six pupil were arrested on Monday for wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, unlawful assembly and conspiracy to steal when officers raided two flats in Wong Tai Sin and Tai Po.Some protective gear such as helmets and elbow pads were seized. Investigators from Kowloon West regional crime unit said the case was under investigation.A police source said the ambulanceman, who worked for the Fire Services Department, had been suspended. The department was notified about the arrest and said it attached high importance to the discipline and integrity of its personnel.All suspected lawbreaking or breaches of discipline would be seriously looked into according to established mechanisms, it added.More from South China Morning Post: * Hong Kong man hit over head with drain cover while clearing protesters’ barricades in Mong Kok * Night of violence and grief in Hong Kong as city mourns death of student Chow Tsz-lok, leading to confrontations with police and vandalism at universityThis article Hong Kong protests: ambulanceman arrested, suspended over attack on mainland Chinese tourist first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2020.
Nepal brought in much heavier punishments for acid attackers on Monday, and restricted production and use of the corrosive liquids after a long campaign by survivors and activists.
The coronavirus is a wake-up call for the world, and trading blame "will only bring greater disaster", China's foreign minister said Monday.
Hong Kong’s top court on Monday said returning officers must observe all requirements of procedural fairness when deciding on the validity of political nominations in order to promote open, free and fair elections.The Court of Final Appeal also clarified that judges have no “constitutional duty” to decide on candidates’ validity themselves, as such a contention could “dangerously amount to an invitation to a returning officer to just ignore the requirements of procedural justice … in the hope that the court will take the same view on validity if the matter is challenged in court subsequently”.The court was responding to questions raised earlier this month in two appeal bids challenging the ousting of pro-establishment lawmaker Chan Hoi-yan following a successful election petition from her disqualified opposition rival Lau Siu-lai in May.Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.Lau’s case was the third in recent months to deal with opposition candidates being barred from standing in elections on political grounds, only for judges in each instance to later overturn their disqualification, thereby stripping the victors in the races of their Legislative Council seats.Alluding to the recent spate of cases, the judges in their ruling on Monday observed that “the likelihood of returning officers making similar mistakes in future is low”, given the recent series of court decisions emphasising the importance of procedural rights.The applications for leave to appeal, lodged by Chan and returning officer Franco Kwok Wai-fun, had raised a common question as to whether a judge could decide on whether there was a “material irregularity” in the disqualification of a candidate without first determining whether the returning officer’s conclusion was correct.Lau, one of the six lawmakers disqualified in the 2016 Legislative Council swearing-in saga, was barred two years later from contesting a by-election in the Kowloon West constituency, where she initially won her seat, after her nomination was thrown out because of Kwok’s objection to her purported political stance. Are Hong Kong voters paying for electoral officials’ mistakes?Kwok maintained that Lau had not genuinely stopped advocating for self-determination for Hong Kong – a stance conflated by some officials with an unconstitutional pro-independence line – despite her claim she had ditched that position ahead of the polls.But Mr Justice Anderson Chow Ka-ming of the High Court sided with Lau in finding that Kwok had failed or refused to give Lau a proper opportunity to respond to the accusation, which amounted to a “material irregularity”, regardless of whether his decision to disqualify her was correct or not.The decision had the effect of rendering Chan, who ultimately won the by-election, “unduly elected”, stripping her of her Legco seat.The appellants’ counsel argued that the irregularity of Kwok’s conduct was not material, because Lau would have been disqualified regardless of whether she was given an opportunity to explain her political stance.Counsel for Kwok further argued Chow had a “constitutional duty” to determine whether Lau genuinely intended to uphold the Basic Law, the city’s mini-constitution, and to pledge allegiance to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region as required.But those arguments were unanimously rejected by justices Roberto Ribeiro, Joseph Fok and Andrew Cheung Kui-nung, who agreed there was a material irregularity in the present case and found it unnecessary to decide on Lau’s true intention.Cheung said the appellants’ case overlooked the importance of procedural fairness in the determination of a person’s rights. Disqualified lawmaker Lau Siu-lai was denied chance to respond to allegations: judgeHe explained that the concept of a “material irregularity” concerned the very integrity and credibility of the electoral process itself, so materiality could not be determined simply by reference to the outcome.“Reaching a decision as important as the disqualification decision which deprives an intending candidate of her right to stand for an election without affording her an opportunity to be heard at all is an extremely serious matter, affecting not only that person’s basic political and procedural rights, but also the integrity of the electoral process as a whole and public confidence in it,” Cheung wrote.“It cannot be reasonably argued that the irregularity involved in the present case was not a ‘material’ one.”More from South China Morning Post: * Two Hong Kong opposition lawmakers announce exit from Legislative Council as result of ‘stay-or-go’ poll looms * Are Hong Kong voters paying for electoral officials’ mistakes? Three court rulings have yet to settle key issues, experts say * Hong Kong police double National Day deployment to 6,000 officers, citing threats to force and calls for violenceThis article Hong Kong’s top court reiterates need for electoral officials to uphold procedural fairness in ruling on ousted lawmaker’s appeal application first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2020.