Dr M says fine with venue as long as Nazri debate happens

BY A. RUBAN
Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said the MACC should be removed from under the government in order to ensure its neutrality. ― Picture by Saw Siow Feng


KUALA LUMPUR, March 14 — Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad today said he was glad Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz has arranged for a hall to host their debate.

The former prime minister also said that he was not worried about entering enemy territory, adding he was confident that all involved would behave professionally during the event.

“As long we get to debate and address some pressing issues, I am fine... but let’s see what the arrangements are going to be like as the day comes closer,” he told a news conference.

Dr Mahathir last week had challenged Nazri to a debate on current issues including 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) and the Bumiputera Malaysia Finance (BMF) scandal when visiting Padang Rengas on a nationwide tour for PPBM.

Subsequently, Nazri yesterday said that he had booked MRSM Sultan Azlan Shah in Perak for the debate between him and the Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) chairman to be held on March 25 at 3pm. 

The Umno Supreme Council member stressed that he has placed no conditions for the debate as it will be a no holds barred affair between him and Dr Mahathir.

Nazri also explained that he had only challenged Dr Mahathir to contest in his constituency for the upcoming general elections as the veteran politician had singled him out when it came to defending Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.