Have you ever: driven yourself crazy wondering why Betty is with Jughead when she should really be with Archie? Spent sleepless nights writing extensive fan fiction about Dana Scully and Fox Mulder (more like Fox “Smolder,” amirite?) of The X-Files? Cried over the improbability of Harry Potter and Hermione Granger ever falling in love?
If you answered yes to any of the above, you’re probably a “shipper.” That’s short for “relationshipper,” or someone who finds him- or herself emotionally invested in the romance — real or potential — between two or more fictional characters.
And if you actively ship, then you already know that some of the most buzzed-about pairings out there are from the Harry Potter universe. As we celebrate this week’s 20th anniversary of the U.S. publication of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, we decided to count down of the top ships from the franchise on Tumblr, brought to life by artists on the platform.
- Drarry (Harry Potter/Draco Malfoy): Clearly, there’s a lot of tension between Harry and Draco — and I don’t just mean on the quidditch pitch. They literally duel in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Draco bullies Harry and his friends constantly throughout the series, but he has a whole turnaround in the final book, and — spoiler alert — Harry risks his life to rescue Draco from the Fiendfyre. The ship is popular in the Tumblr sphere, where artists have visualized the happy — but always bickering — couple.
- Dramione (Draco Malfoy/Hermione Granger): It’s easy to understand where this ship comes from: Hermione’s a good girl, Draco’s a bad boy, yadda yadda. But it can be hard to reconcile Draco’s vocal expressions of elitism throughout the series and Hermione’s punching him in book three. Still, some artists see this opposites-attract romance working out well, maybe encouraged by Emma Watson’s real-life crush on Tom Felton?
- Jily (James Potter/Lily Potter): This ship is pretty easy. Harry’s parents — before their untimely deaths — ended up together, when Lily decided she wasn’t going to put up with Severus Snape’s advances any longer. ’Til death do us part, indeed…
- Harmony (Harry Potter/Hermione Granger): Even author J.K. Rowling ships these two, punching Romione (Ron Weasley/Hermione) shippers right in the gut. If Rowling is into them, it’s kind of canon, right?
- Romione (Ron Weasley/Hermione Granger): So what if Rowling has expressed second thoughts about the pairing? The love story remains on the books, immortalized by artists’ renderings of the couple’s greatest moments.
- Hinny (Harry Potter/Ginny Weasley): Falling for your best friend’s sibling or your sibling’s best friend can be dangerous territory, but this ship is as canon as it gets. Here’s how a Tumblr artist rendered it…
- Linny (Luna Lovegood/Ginny Weasley): Luna and Ginny were in the same year at Hogwarts, though in different houses. When Luna became one of Ginny’s best friends through Dumbledore’s Army, fans couldn’t help but dream up how much of a power couple this girl duo would be.
Which is your favorite ship? Let us know in the comments below!
—Additional reporting on this story by Rennie Svirnovskiy
Come back tomorrow for the next installment in our Harry Potter and the 20th Anniversary series.
Meet the world’s most obsessed Harry Potter fan:
Read more from Yahoo Entertainment:
- ‘Harry Potter’ is worth how much?! Startling stats on the 20th anniversary
- Rating the Harry Potterverse: From movies to Broadway to theme parks, here’s our definitive ranking
- Johnny Depp, Young Dumbledore, and J.K. Rowling’s Trump references: Everything we learned on the set of ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald’
- This ‘Harry Potter’ character’s name is getting VERY popular