El Salvador ex-president corruption trial ends

Former Salvadoran President Elias Antonio Saca, pictured in 2016, reviously pleaded guilty to embezzlement and money and assets laundering in exchange for an abbreviated trial and reduced sentence

The trial of former Salvadoran president Elias Antonio Saca over the diversion of over $300 million during his term concluded Wednesday, with sentencing set for September 12, a court spokesman said.

Saca -- who was in power from 2004 to 2009 -- previously pleaded guilty to embezzlement and money and assets laundering in exchange for an abbreviated trial and reduced sentence.

As part of the agreement, prosecutors requested a 10 year sentence and the return of $300.3 million from Saca and his six collaborators as a "civic duty," the court's press office said in a statement.

They also asked that former communications secretary Julio Rank return $8 million to the state, and that former president of state water company Cesar Funes hand back $886,697.