Ex-TV journalist Ryan Lau apologises following arrest over restaurant brawl

Christy Leung
·3-min read

Former television news reporter and anchor Ryan Lau Chun-kong issued a public apology on Friday after being arrested last week for allegedly hitting a friend of his soon-to-be ex-wife in a restaurant.

According to police, the couple, who were married for more than nine years, recently filed for divorce and are currently separated.

Shortly before 7.30pm last Wednesday, Lau’s wife, surnamed Lui, was having dinner with a 25-year-old male friend in a restaurant on Wai Yip Street in Kwun Tong when Lau, 39, reportedly arrived at the scene and got into a dispute with the other man.

Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.

“The duo got into a fight and assaulted each other. They were both injured to their faces and hands,” said a police insider with knowledge of the investigation.

“Officers of the emergency units arrived and arrested the pair. They were both released on bail.”

The insider said Lui, 38, was not involved in the fighting, and would serve as a witness.

Hong Kong pair acquitted of assaulting police after magistrate rules officers to blame

Addressing the altercation on Friday, Lau wrote on his Facebook page that the fight “stemmed from a misunderstanding” and that he would like to apologise for his behaviour, and for involving his wife in the matter.

“Mrs Lau is a good wife and a good mother. Everything happened because of my misunderstanding and unreasonable impulses,” Lau wrote. “I hope everyone won’t make groundless speculations.”

Lau worked as a journalist and news anchor for TVB for more than eight years, before he quit in 2010. He has since gone on to appear in a number of films, including Sara in 2014, in which he played a supporting role as the boyfriend of pop-singer Charlene Choi Tsoek-jin. He also played a news anchor in 2016’s Cold War II, featuring award-winning actors Chow Yun-fat and Aaron Kwok Fu-shing.

He also set up a production house, and recently published a book describing his first-hand experience, and those of other witnesses, of the Yuen Long attack on July 21 last year.

Ryan Lau is seen bleeding on the floor of Yuen Long MTR station after being caught in a mob attack there on July 21, 2019. Photo: AFP
Ryan Lau is seen bleeding on the floor of Yuen Long MTR station after being caught in a mob attack there on July 21, 2019. Photo: AFP

The attack – in which a white-clad mob with metal rods and rattan canes attacked commuters and protesters – was a turning point in the social unrest that gripped the city for months last year. The sluggish police response to the attack prompted a public outcry, with officers even accused of colluding with the aggressors.

The accusations were dismissed by then-police commissioner Stephen Lo Wai-chung, and police have since been accused of trying to rewrite the history of the attacks following the arrest of an opposition lawmaker who was injured there.

Lau was seen that night soaked in blood as he sat on the floor of Yuen Long MTR concourse, telling reporters he had gone to the area to help transport youngsters away from the station. He said he was injured by white-clad men in his head and back, and required eight stitches.

Police have so far arrested at least 60 people in connection with the attack.

This article Ex-TV journalist Ryan Lau apologises following arrest over restaurant brawl first appeared on South China Morning Post

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2020.