GEORGE TOWN: Penang Gerakan today has urged the state government to follow the footsteps of the federal government which had declassified agreements on highway concession in the interest of the public.
The party said back in 2007, former prime minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi declared the agreements open to the public and instructed the companies involved to waive their rights under the confidentiality clause.
Its acting Youth chief Jason Loo said it was strange that the state government was reluctant to do so with regards to the land reclamation projects which he had applied so far under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Enactment.
"All the companies have obliged by the federal government's request, all in the interest of the public. Malaysians then had the opportunity to vet all the agreements.
"If the federal government can do it, why can't the state government? Is there something to hide?" he said in a press conference at Komtar today.
Loo said he had filed for an appeal to declassify the documents reclamation projects of Seri Tanjung Pinang (STP) 1 and 2 and also the Gurney Wharf.
His initially applied it last month and on April 4 but all of the applications were rejected by the state secretary.
The state government is expected to constitute an appeals board to review his appeal.