Fire destroys religious school dorm in Pasir Mas

Sharifah Mahsinah Abdullah


PASIR MAS: Thirty students of Maahad Tahfiz Al-Quran Al-Ismailiah near Banggol Chicha here were left homeless after their hostel caught fire early today.


Pasir Mas Fire and Rescue Department chief Duniya Saad said the students were sleeping when the fire broke out about 4am.


He said a total of 17 firemen rushed to the scene after receiving a distress call at 4.23am.


He said the hostel was almost destroyed when firemen arrived at the scene a few minutes later.


"We took about 20 minutes to put out the fire and control it from spreading to other part of the building," said Duniya.