Fire engulfs Pandora nightclub in Bugis, woman taken to hospital

(PHOTOS: Facebook / Singapore Civil Defence Force)

SINGAPORE — A fire broke out at a fourth floor nightclub along Middle Road in Bugis on Monday (6 January) morning with one woman taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.

About 60 people were also evacuated by policemen from the Lee Kai House building at 114 Middle Road before firemen arrived.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it was alerted to the fire, which broke out at Pandora Club and KTV at about 11.15am.

SCDF deployed nine emergency vehicles and 30 firemen, who arrived to find the blaze raging and black smoke visible from outside the building.

“SCDF firefighters wearing breathing apparatus sets proceeded cautiously into the heavily smoke-logged premises to conduct firefighting operations,” it said on Facebook.

The fire was put out with two water jets.

A video of the charred interior of the nightclub in the aftermath of the fire was put up on the SCDF Facebook page.

The woman who had smoke inhalation was taken by SCDF ambulance to Raffles Hospital.

SCDF responded to a total of 3,885 fire calls in 2018, a slight increase from 3,871 in 2017. The majority of fires broke out in homes - there were 2,422 fires in residences in 2018, compared with 2,657 in 2017.

More Singapore stories:

Newborn baby found alive in garbage bin in Bedok: SCDF

MOH: 60,000 subsidised outpatients treated for mental disorders each year

SDP says MOM decision 'cop-out', will contest POFMA orders in court

Electoral Boundaries Review Committee still deliberating: Chan Chun Sing

Sylvia Lim 'may be barking up the wrong tree' regarding POFMA rules on political advertising: Iswaran