IPOH, Nov 11 — Two firemen were injured following an explosion at a silo disposing plywood dust at IGB Industrial Estate here this morning.
Perak Fire and Rescue Department director Datuk Yahya Madis said the firemen, from the Ipoh station, had climbed on top of the silo that was about two storey high in order to spray water inside.
“We had received a distress call at 7.44am and an engine had rushed to the scene and successfully brought the fire under control.
“They then climbed on the silo to spray water into it but a spark caused a combustion that lead to an explosion,” he told reporters at the Hospital Raja Permaisuri Bainun here where both firemen were admitted for treatment.
Yahya said one fireman sustained 10 per cent burns on his neck and shoulder while the other had 1 per cent burns.
“The victim with 10 per cent burns, aged 32, has been admitted to the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit for observation while the other, 30, is being held at the hospital’s emergency unit,” he added.
This is the fourth time the silo has caught fire in the past three months.