UPDATE: This story has been updated with a statement from Regent Singapore.
The Summer Palace restaurant and the banquet kitchen of Regent Singapore have had their food hygiene grades downgraded to “C” by the National Environment Agency (NEA) following cases of food poisoning involving the two establishments last year.
A total of 43 persons were reported to have symptoms of gastroenteritis, or stomach flu, after consuming food provided by the establishments on 11 November last year. The new grades will take effect from Monday (29 January), NEA said in a media release.
Summer Palace is a Michelin One-Star Cantonese restaurant located at Regent Singapore, a 5-star hotel along Cuscaden Road. The banquet kitchen caters for functions at the hotel. Both establishments were previously graded “A”.
The food hygiene grades were adjusted following investigations of the incident and will be reviewed by NEA in 12 months’ time. NEA said it would keep the premises under surveillance.
In response to media queries from Yahoo News Singapore, a Regent Singapore spokesman said, “It is unfortunate that this incident had happened during one of our banquet events. We have since been in touch with all 43 guests concerned to acknowledge the situation and extend our apologies for the inconvenience caused. And have since come to a mutual resolution for all parties.”
The spokesman added that the hotel has also tightened supervisory examination to ensure good food safety and personal hygiene and is working hard in this area to restore confidence in the hotel.