New Ford lineup aims to close China gap

Beijing (China Daily/ANN) - As a latecomer to the Chinese market, Ford Motor Co aims to close the gap between rivals like Volkswagen and General Motors by greatly boosting production capacity in the country and launching an aggressive new product offensive.

The US carmaker said at the ongoing Beijing Auto Show that it will begin producing SUVs within the next 12 months at its three-way joint venture in China with Chang'an Automobile Group and Japan's Mazda.

To tap the surging demand for various types of vehicles, the company will make the EcoSport and Kuga in China and import the large Explorer, said David Schoch, chairman and CEO of Ford Motor China.

As part of Ford's ambitious plan to bring 15 new vehicles to China by 2015, the move is expected to expand its limited locally built product lineup, which currently only contains three cars and an MPV: the Fiesta, the Focus, the Mondeo and the S-Max.

Ford has lagged behind in China's rapidly expanding SUV segment since it only imports one SUV to China - the Edge. The SUV segment has grown faster than any other in the nation's auto market in the past two years.

Last year, about 1.6 million SUVs were sold in the country, up 20 percent from the previous year, according to statistics from China Association of Automobile Manufacturers.

Ford is now bringing a full line of SUVs of every size to the Beijing Auto Show, signaling its ambitions to take a lead in this segment.

The EcoSport is based on the same platform as the subcompact Fiesta, and the Kuga is about the same size as the compact Focus, while the Edge and Explorer are bigger vehicles.

To manufacture more new products in China, Ford has intensive investment plans to increase local production capacity.

The company announced on April 5 that it will invest $600 million in a new plant in Chongqing to augment its two existing vehicle plants in the southwestern city.

It also has an engine plant and a transmission plant under construction there.

Fourteen days later, the company released another plan to build a $760 million facility in Hangzhou.

The two new plants will push the carmaker's total output in China to more than 1.2 million vehicles per year by 2015.

And Chongqing will be Ford's biggest manufacturing site outside its home base of Detroit when all the plants are completed.

Responding to concerns about investment risks from a market that is slowing and may even be in decline, Schoch said that he is very confident in Ford's growth in China and also the continuation of the industry's growth in China.

The market is projected to grow to 30 million units annually by 2020, nearly double the 18 million units that are expected to be sold this year, he said.

"Keep in mind we are here for the long term. That's why we are investing in China the way we are now," he said.

In addition to the Chongqing-based joint venture, Ford also has a 30 percent stake in Jiangling Motor Corp (JMC), which manufactures both Ford Transit vans and vehicles carrying the JMC nameplate. JMC is also building a new plant with a 300,000-unit annual capacity that is set to be operational next year.

Schoch denied rumors that Ford will build its SUVs in JMC, saying that the company, based in Nanchang, Jiangxi province, will focus on commercial vehicles.

Ford sold about 520,000 vehicles in China last year, far behind Volkswagen and GM, which both delivered more than 2 million vehicles in 2011.

  • Wednesday #sgroundup: More than 300 people missing after South Korean ferry sinks - coastguard 4 minutes 38 seconds ago
    Wednesday #sgroundup: More than 300 people missing after South Korean ferry sinks - coastguard

    Here are the top trending stories of the day in case you missed them:

  • 2015 Chevrolet Trax small SUV rolls back to America 11 hours ago
    2015 Chevrolet Trax small SUV rolls back to America

    For the past two years, car shoppers from Acapulco to Winnipeg could wander into their Chevy dealers and kick the tires on a city-sized sport utility vehicle named the Trax — and about 90,000 have done so. Today, Chevy revealed the version of the Trax it will bring to the United States, for those less well-heeled buyers who want the shape of an SUV without the window sticker they usually carry.

  • Ford Transit Skyliner concept revives the ultra-luxury van 14 hours ago
    Ford Transit Skyliner concept revives the ultra-luxury van

    “Once you do stand-up, you don’t want to go back.” No, we’re not talking about comedy, but rather an emerging trend in luxury transport that’s bringing us ever taller, more capacious, more pimpdillyicious limousines. The quote came from a Ford designer, Tim Stoehr, predicting an increase in interest in limos based on big vans like the new Transit. Of course, these are nothing new; up-fitters have taken quite kindly to the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, and apparently Ford is chomping at the bit to get in on the action, too. So Ford enlisted the help of the largest Ford dealer in the world, Galpin Auto Sports in Van Nuys, Calif., to help design and build its first super-lux Transit concept, dubbed the Skyliner.

  • Amazon to release smartphone later this year: report
    Amazon to release smartphone later this year: report

    Amazon is preparing to release a smartphone in the second half of 2014, thrusting itself into a market already crowded with Apple and Samsung models, The Wall Street Journal reported. The company aims to announce its new product by the end of June and ship to customers by the end of September in time for the holidays, the Journal said in a Friday report, citing unnamed people briefed on the matter. Amazon, it said, hopes to differentiate its phone from other models with a screen that displays hologram-like three-dimensional images, which can be viewed without special glasses. Earlier this month the retailer unveiled a new media streaming device, Amazon Fire TV, which it touted as simplifying the experience of watching video online.

  • Supermodel Qi Qi is afraid of flying
    Supermodel Qi Qi is afraid of flying

    The supermodel said that she will take her daughter in a vacation but will try to avoid boarding a plane

  • One dead as S. Korea ferry with 476 passengers sinks
    One dead as S. Korea ferry with 476 passengers sinks

    South Korea's coastguard said Wednesday one person had been killed as it struggled to rescue 476 people -- mostly high school students -- aboard a ferry that ran aground and sank off the southern coast. "The ferry is almost completely submerged," Lee said, adding that a detachment of South Korean Navy SEALS were taking part in the rescue. Of the 450 passengers on board the ferry bound for the southern resort island of Jeju, 325 were students from a high school in Ansan, south of Seoul. The 6,825-tonne ferry, which had sailed out of the western port of Incheon on Tuesday evening, ran into trouble some 20 kilometres (13 miles) off the island of Byungpoong.