G.Bissau junta frees PM, president seized in coup

Guinea-Bissau's coup leaders released the country's ousted prime minister and interim president after more than two weeks of captivity, allowing the former leaders to travel to Ivory Coast.

The generals now in charge of the small, unstable west African country also pledged a one-year transition back to democracy, a day after regional bloc ECOWAS decided to send hundreds of troops to the country.

Guinea-Bissau, a former Portuguese colony, has a history of coups and other political violence and has in recent years become a major cocaine trafficking hub between South America and Europe.

The military launched the latest coup on April 12, in the middle of a two-round presidential election in which outgoing prime minister Carlos Gomes Junior was the frontrunner and the opposition claimed fraud.

Troops then attacked Gomes' residence with rocket-propelled grenades and detained him, along with interim president Raimundo Pereira, in a power grab that sparked regional and international condemnation.

On Thursday, a summit of the Economic Community of West African States or ECOWAS gave the junta 72 hours to agree to a return to constitutional order and to allow in 500 to 600 troops or face targeted sanctions.

The 15-member bloc, which also condemned a coup in Mali, told both countries to restore democracy and hold elections within a year.

France on Friday welcomed the ECOWAS move and said it was ready to help.

"It was a very good decision," said Foreign Minister Alain Juppe, adding that Paris could give "logistical, material or intelligence support".

On Friday the junta in Guinea-Bissau agreed to a 12-month transition period, having earlier proposed a period twice that long, and agreed to free the detained leaders, military spokesman Daba Na Walna said.

Gomes and Pereira were later welcomed at Abidjan airport by Ivory Coast's Foreign Minister Daniel Kablan Duncan and the African Integration Minister Adama Bictogo, an AFP reporter said.

Pereira thanked Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara, current head of ECOWAS, for his role in their liberation, saying that Ivory Coast "is also our country", without further comment.

Bictogo called their liberation "a good sign". It was not immediately known how long the two would stay in Abidjan.

Pereira and Gomes were also due to meet with Ouattara.

The president has pledged a firm response to the recent instability in two countries "to prevent our sub-region from giving in to terrorism and transnational criminality".

Earlier Friday a team of West African leaders left Guinea-Bissau after several hours of closed-door talks with Antonio Indjai, who is widely thought to have masterminded the coup.

Spokesman Na Walna sought to downplay the regional concerns, saying the "return to civilian rule is on track" and adding: "The right place for soldiers is the barracks."

The future transition government "will be a government of technocrats and neutral personalities who will have to oversee a transition period of 12 months", he added.

Since 1998, the country of 1.6 million people has been through one war, four military coups and the murder of one president and four military chiefs-of-staff. No president has ever completed a full term in office.

The Guinea-Bissau army has claimed it staged its coup this month because of an alleged secret deal by the government with Angola, also a former Portuguese colony, to destroy the armed forces.

Angola on Thursday denied its troops had any role in Guinea-Bissau's coup, as the parliament in Luanda agreed to the the recall of about 600 soldiers who had been sent as part of a training project.

"The presence of Angolan troops in Guinea-Bissau was essentially based on a bilateral cooperation pact to train soldiers of the army," junior defence minister Salviano Sequeira told AFP.

  • COMMENT: Xenophobia rears its ugly head in Singapore once more 17 hours ago
    COMMENT: Xenophobia rears its ugly head in Singapore once more

    Kirsten Han is a Singaporean blogger, journalist and filmmaker. She is also involved in the We Believe in Second Chances campaign for the abolishment of the death penalty. A social media junkie, she tweets at @kixes. The views expressed are … Continue reading →

  • Driving a $900,000 Porsche 918 Spyder to the future 19 hours ago
    Driving a $900,000 Porsche 918 Spyder to the future

    It’s more than just its inherent speed, or the whooshing noise that fills the cabin like a school choir jamming with James Hetfield. It’s what it represents in an industry full of skeptics. It’s a portal into the future – a time capsule left by some mad scientist born decades too soon. It’s something that shouldn’t exist. And yet it does.

  • 919 reasons to love: Flickr photo of the day 20 hours ago
    919 reasons to love: Flickr photo of the day

    We've brought you the drive video of the $900,000 Porsche 918 Spyder -- an 887-hp hybrid supercar with two electric motors working in harmony with a big 4.6-liter V-8. But how about this? Porsche's hybrid Le Mans racer -- the 919 Hybrid, sent to us by Kevin Leech. Get on board with electrification, folks. Because it's taking over the world.

  • COMMENT: Xenophobia rears its ugly head in Singapore once more
    COMMENT: Xenophobia rears its ugly head in Singapore once more

    Kirsten Han is a Singaporean blogger, journalist and filmmaker. She is also involved in the We Believe in Second Chances campaign for the abolishment of the death penalty. A social media junkie, she tweets at @kixes. The views expressed are … Continue reading →

  • Singaporeans slam NEA's $120 licence requirement for tissue sellers
    Singaporeans slam NEA's $120 licence requirement for tissue sellers

    Singaporeans on social media reacted angrily to news that tissue sellers at hawker centres and street corners are being required to pay for an annual licence.

  • Arrest warrant sought for S. Korea ferry captain
    Arrest warrant sought for S. Korea ferry captain

    South Korean prosecutors sought arrest warrants Friday for the captain and two crew members of the ferry that capsized two days before with hundreds of children on board, a coastguard official said. The captain and most of his 28 crew managed to escape the ferry, and have been criticised for abandoning the ship when so many were still trapped on board. Tracking data from the Maritime Ministry showed the ferry made a sharp turn just before sending its first distress signal on Wednesday morning. Prosecutors said Friday that preliminary investigations showed that captain Lee Joon-Seok had handed the helm to his third officer before the ferry capsized.