Powers demand N.Korea drop rocket plan

The Group of Eight powers on Thursday demanded that North Korea drop plans for a rocket launch as the United States warned that defiance would lead to action at the UN Security Council.

The club of major industrial nations made the show of unity despite widespread doubts that North Korea can be dissuaded to call off firing the rocket, which is expected to fly into the East China Sea within days or even hours.

The Group of Eight foreign ministers "demand that the DPRK not conduct the launch," said an unusually strongly worded statement after talks in Washington, referring to the North by its official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

North Korea has said that it will launch its Unha-3 (Galaxy-3) rocket by Monday to put a satellite into orbit as the world's only communist dynasty celebrates the centennial of the birth of its founder Kim Il-Sung.

But the statement released by the United States after talks of the Group of Eight -- which includes all veto-wielding members of the UN Security Council except North Korea's main ally China -- described the plan as a missile launch.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said there was "no doubt" the launch would use ballistic missile technology -- a violation of UN Security Council resolution approved in 2009 -- and warned North Korea it faced a "clear choice."

"It can pursue peace and reap the benefits of closer ties with the international community, including the United States, or it can continue to face pressure and isolation. If Pyongyang goes forward, we will all be back in the Security Council to take further action," Clinton told reporters.

Clinton said that such a path would be regrettable, noting that the United States had agreed just weeks earlier to deliver food aid to the impoverished state in return for its pledges to freeze its nuclear and missile programs.

"But in the current atmosphere, we would not be able to go forward with that, and other actions that other countries had been considering would also be on hold," Clinton said.

The State Department announced that Kurt Campbell, its top official on East Asia, would leave Saturday to consult with South Korea and Japan, treaty-bound US allies that are arch-enemies of North Korea.

Clinton said there was agreement over "additional steps" by the Group of Eight -- Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia and the United States -- as well as by the five nations in moribund denuclearization talks with North Korea, which include China.

But it remained unclear what action the Security Council would take as North Korea is already one of the world's most sanctioned and isolated nations.

A pro-North Korean newspaper in Japan, along with South Korean intelligence, have both held out the possibility that Pyongyang would carry out a new nuclear test if tensions mount over its rocket launch.

Privately, some policymakers have said that the best approach may be to stress international unity at the Security Council but to take an understated approach so as not to fan the flames.

Japanese Foreign Minister Koichiro Gemba, who met Thursday with US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta after the Group of Eight talks, has also called for unspecified "appropriate action" by the Security Council if Pyongyang carries out the launch.

Japanese foreign ministry spokeswoman Naoko Saiki said it was undecided if the Security Council would pursue a new resolution, issue a statement -- which carries less legal force -- or take other action.

"At this moment, utmost efforts must be done to urge North Korea not to launch a missile," she told reporters.

"Without going into intelligence or concrete evidence, I could say that we have to be prepared for the worst scenario in which North Korea might take further provocative actions including a nuclear test," she said.

"In order to prevent that from occurring, I think the international community must act in unity," she said.

China has taken the rare step of publicly criticizing North Korea for its planned launch but has also called on all countries to "exercise restraint" after Washington urged Beijing to exert more pressure.

  • 2015 Chevrolet Trax small SUV rolls back to America 8 hours ago
    2015 Chevrolet Trax small SUV rolls back to America

    For the past two years, car shoppers from Acapulco to Winnipeg could wander into their Chevy dealers and kick the tires on a city-sized sport utility vehicle named the Trax — and about 90,000 have done so. Today, Chevy revealed the version of the Trax it will bring to the United States, for those less well-heeled buyers who want the shape of an SUV without the window sticker they usually carry.

  • Ford Transit Skyliner concept revives the ultra-luxury van 11 hours ago
    Ford Transit Skyliner concept revives the ultra-luxury van

    “Once you do stand-up, you don’t want to go back.” No, we’re not talking about comedy, but rather an emerging trend in luxury transport that’s bringing us ever taller, more capacious, more pimpdillyicious limousines. The quote came from a Ford designer, Tim Stoehr, predicting an increase in interest in limos based on big vans like the new Transit. Of course, these are nothing new; up-fitters have taken quite kindly to the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, and apparently Ford is chomping at the bit to get in on the action, too. So Ford enlisted the help of the largest Ford dealer in the world, Galpin Auto Sports in Van Nuys, Calif., to help design and build its first super-lux Transit concept, dubbed the Skyliner.

  • Driving the 2016 BMW X5 eDrive, the plugged-in SUV 15 hours ago
    Driving the 2016 BMW X5 eDrive, the plugged-in SUV

    Automakers worldwide have gradually (some would say grudgingly) attempted to make their high-profit and highly popular SUVs as efficient and clean-running as their lower weight passenger cars — namely through the grafting of a plug-in hybrid system.

  • Amazon to release smartphone later this year: report
    Amazon to release smartphone later this year: report

    Amazon is preparing to release a smartphone in the second half of 2014, thrusting itself into a market already crowded with Apple and Samsung models, The Wall Street Journal reported. The company aims to announce its new product by the end of June and ship to customers by the end of September in time for the holidays, the Journal said in a Friday report, citing unnamed people briefed on the matter. Amazon, it said, hopes to differentiate its phone from other models with a screen that displays hologram-like three-dimensional images, which can be viewed without special glasses. Earlier this month the retailer unveiled a new media streaming device, Amazon Fire TV, which it touted as simplifying the experience of watching video online.

  • One dead as S. Korea ferry with 476 passengers sinks
    One dead as S. Korea ferry with 476 passengers sinks

    South Korea's coastguard said Wednesday one person had been killed as it struggled to rescue 476 people -- mostly high school students -- aboard a ferry that ran aground and sank off the southern coast. "The ferry is almost completely submerged," Lee said, adding that a detachment of South Korean Navy SEALS were taking part in the rescue. Of the 450 passengers on board the ferry bound for the southern resort island of Jeju, 325 were students from a high school in Ansan, south of Seoul. The 6,825-tonne ferry, which had sailed out of the western port of Incheon on Tuesday evening, ran into trouble some 20 kilometres (13 miles) off the island of Byungpoong.